Menu

CAP Chreia/Proverb experiences? Charting out writing for next 12 months . . .

Could I hear some thoughts from those who have used what they liked about it and what they did not like?

I want to use it with my 5th grader next year when we finish CAP Narrative I.  So probably around November.

He is doing Treasure Conversations over the summer along with Kilgallon.

Any thoughts on CAP or this plan would be great thanks?

I started my son out in Narrative 1 in the spring of his 4th grade. We had already completed Fable through Classical Writing - Aesop in 3rd grade and IEW SWI-A in 4th. My son was in 5th grade when we completed Narrative 2 and Proverbs/Chreia. While it probably isn't my favorite level, I can see where the exercise in creating an essay based on a person's virtue and sharing examples of that character in action lends itself in writing powerful essays. In fact, after completing Chriea, I notice when an author refers to someone from history (and their relevant character traits) when discussing some modern issue. It is more common than I thought -and quite powerful. When I see it, it makes me think of Chreia. We did Kilgallon orally with selected written exercises the summer before he started. I am not sure if it was the impact of the Kilgallon or the fact my child is an extremely avid reader, but he writes the most complex and interesting sentences for a now 6th grader.  We have continued with CAP now, because that is the writing program he likes best. I had tried to add in some WWS, and he just begged to go back to CAP W&R. Hope that helps!

Narrative 1 and 2 should both have lists of skills in their introductions (available as a download sample). You can see what skills are added in Narrative 2. If you have already covered everything in Narrative 1 (summaries, amplification, dialogue, descriptive paragraphs, etc.) you should be able to move into Narrative 2 with him.

I left CAP for good before we had finished the Chreia book. I had completed all the levels to that point.

My frustrations with Chreia:

1. They told us what to do, but not really how. There was just no substantial instruction. I guess we were to look at the samples and just learn experientially as we repeated the process throughout the book. Which leads me to:

2. It was the same assignment/process with a different character/proverb over and over and over. 

3. The actual writing expected and the content of the Proverbs particularly seemed out of sync. It was relatively difficult thinking for the program's stated age range paired at the same time with relatively simple writing assignments/expectations if I recall.

I think solid narrative writing skills can add to quality expository work. So if narrative writing isn't where you want it to be, I would consider Narrative II or another Narrative based program (I love Most Wonderful Writing Lessons Ever, and used the skills we gained in the explicit instruction that book includes to work through CAP's Narrative levels).

Edited by sbgrace
  • Like 3

I left CAP for good before we had finished the Chreia book. I had completed all the levels to that point.

My frustrations with Chreia:

1. They told us what to do, but not really how. There was just no substantial instruction. I guess we were to look at the samples and just learn experientially as we repeated the process throughout the book. Which leads me to:

2. It was the same assignment/process with a different character/proverb over and over and over.

3. The actually writing expected and the content of the Proverbs particularly seemed out of sync. It relatively difficult thinking for our age at the time paired with relatively simple writing assignments/expectations if I recall.

I think quality narrative writing skills can add to quality expository work, so if narrative writing isn't where you want it to be, I would consider Narrative II or another Narrative based program (I love Most Wonderful Writing Lessons Ever, and used the skills we gained in the explicit instruction that book includes to work through CAP's Narrative levels).

This! I am halfway through Chreia right now with my 11yo and I am not sure if I want to continue. English is not my best subject and I feel like we just need something more?

Wow thanks for the great insight.

I've got some things to think about. I think it's strange they don't tell you really "how" to do the exercises. Could be a problem. My guy gets pretty frustrated if he isn't told exactly what to do.

Edited by RosieCotton

I think solid narrative writing skills can add to quality expository work. So if narrative writing isn't where you want it to be, I would consider Narrative II or another Narrative based program (I love Most Wonderful Writing Lessons Ever, and used the skills we gained in the explicit instruction that book includes to work through CAP's Narrative levels).

I have peeked at Most Wonderful Writing Lessons Ever, but I worry it's to young for him now. (Finishing 4th)

I have peeked at Most Wonderful Writing Lessons Ever, but I worry it's to young for him now. (Finishing 4th)

It is, hands down, the best narrative instruction I've seen. If he needs more narrative instruction, I think it would be a good program. I would use it in 5th if a child didn't have solid narrative skills.

I have heard from many that book 4 of WandR is a sticking point.  Most people find it effective for the 12ish year old.  I think the program is solid, but I don't agree with the stated grades.  If you took it slower it may work fine for you.  Or put off book 4 until you think your child is ready....I personally can't see a ten year old (for the most part) doing well in Proverb.

I have heard from many that book 4 of WandR is a sticking point.  Most people find it effective for the 12ish year old.  I think the program is solid, but I don't agree with the stated grades.  If you took it slower it may work fine for you.  Or put off book 4 until you think your child is ready....I personally can't see a ten year old (for the most part) doing well in Proverb.

This echoes what I've read in past threads. I'll probably hold Proverb for now. He'd be 11 when we started it.

To muddy the waters I'm also looking at EIW. :)