Menu

What after Math Mammoth 7?

tj_610

I looked through lots of forums, but didn't find answers to my question, probably since MM7 is new this year.

DD is finishing MM7, did 5 and 6 before. It's worked well for us. She's above average in everything, but math is her main attitudinal struggle. We like MM for teaching concepts, lots of word problems, and cost.

We think pre-algebra would be redundant, but a too-rigorous algebra could kill her joy. We're thinking of a 1.5-2 year algebra path. Any recommendations? We own VideoText Algebra from her brother's use, but not sure she'll do well with it. We're thinking Math without Borders, or maybe Derek Owens self-paced. Her brother uses DO for higher math and loves it.

I just posted a thread on the Logic board and cross-posted to high school board re: Algebra 1 for my daughter who is completing MM7.

You definitely don't need to do another Pre-algebra as that's what MM7 is.

I think I've decided to go with Foetsters with Math Without Borders syllabus & videos.

Edited by fourisenough

My daughter just finished MM6 (the old version) and will be starting on Foerster's Algebra I with the Math Without Borders videos in the fall.  She's quite advanced in math, but doesn't enjoy it much at all. I think this will change with algebra, though....at least it did for me, and we are very similar.  I didn't think she'd need another pre-algebra but I wasn't willing to stress her out with something like Art of Problem Solving.  After sitting her down and looking through all the options for algebra together (and doing numerous samples), she liked Chalkdust best.  Foerster's with the Math Without Borders videos were an extremely close second.  We are going with the latter simply due to cost.  

Maria Miller, the author of the Math Mammoth series, has some recommendations on her website. My oldest will be doing MM 7 next school year and I panicked a little about what we would do next. She suggests Foerster's Algebra 1 with Math Without Borders videos to teach it. That's what we are going to try next :)