Menu

Another Year-End Testing Question

You would think I would know what to do in this situation after all of my years of homeschooling but I'm not sure what the best choice would be.  Here's the situation:  

Last year my now 8 yods took the Iowa Basics Test, Level 6, for first grade and scored a  Core Total  NPR 89.  In our state we are good to go with a score of anything above 25 so we were all set.

This year, as a second grader, I ordered him the Iowa Basics, Level 7 for second grade.  I was shocked when I got the results last night.  Core Total NPR of only 12 and Composite MPR of only 17.    

Has anyone else seen a drop of that magnitude between years?   

I've got a couple of options as I see it.  I could just re-order the same test and assume it was just a bad week when we took it.  The kids had all had colds and such and maybe his was hanging on and just showed up when he took the test?  It didn't seem to affect the rest of his activities that week so I'm not sure about this one.

I could back him up a level and give him the same level I gave him last year in the Iowa just to get a score to turn in for the state requirements.  There is no requirement of what level he tests at as far as I can tell.  I would just assume that he's not quite a second grader this year and keep going the way we are going, giving him a chance to catch up with himself.

I could order a different test like the CAT and try that.  I know that test is very different and it may be that it works better for him.  I use Seton Testing Services and they still have the second grade CAT survey available and also offer the CAT-6 now.  Of course, maybe I should consider just backing up and giving him the first grade CAT instead to be sure.

I could also just ignore these test results and do a teacher evaluation for him this year but I wonder if it would look funny to superintendents office if I turn in four kids with test results and one without.  They probably wouldn't even notice based on past experience.  (Once they sent my official notification of excusal from homeschooling with all of my kids listed plus a few kids from another family - LOL!).

Any advice or experience you've had will be greatly appreciated.  

Editing to add:  I truly am not concerned at all about him and only need these test scores for the state notification.  He's doing fine and making progress all the time.  

Edited by JanOH

If he hasn't had any noticeable academic changes, could you double-check that the test was scored correctly? (Is he roughly at grade adequacy in reading & math?)

I had wondered about this but was afraid the folks at Seton would think I was crazy :)    I know he is a bit behind some of my other kids in reading but has made great progress this year and I was watching him take the test.  He made some mistakes but except in a few areas I thought he was doing pretty decently.  I know he's a terrible speller and that would be a lost cause on this test but it's just a part of it.  He's doing Saxon Math 2 and going along great in that.  

I think I will just send them a note and see what they say.

That seems like a BIG inconsistency. Did he get the score sheet misaligned and start filling in all his bubbles in the wrong slot?

Wait, ITBS in 2nd has you writing in the booklet, IIRC. So that would make me think it was a scoring mistake.

• Like 2

i agree it sounds likely to be a scoring error.

If it is not that, I would recommend giving him the CAT/5 for his grade level. It is an very straightforward test. I started my kids with this one to ease them into the testing experience, and then I switched them to Iowa in 3rd grade.

If that doesn't work, then do the evaluation.