Menu

Which of these maths for First Grade?

luckymom

I've been using Math in Focus for the past two years. I like the mastery style curriculum, but Math in Focus is expensive for what you get. Plus, there's a teacher's manual, 2 textbooks, and 2 workbooks. I don't really use the manual anymore, and I only briefly reference the textbooks. Because of all of that, I decided to make a switch.

I'm going to be using Math Mammoth for both my 1st grader and 3rd grader. Math Mammoth still utilizes the mastery style I like, but there's no teacher manual and no textbooks. It's a work text which really appealed to me. Plus, the cost was awesome. I purchased the downloadable version, so I can print what I need. Tests and review questions are included, which is nice if you need them.

Their website also has a comparison with several other curriculums. It doesn't include Rod & Staff, but it may have some helpful information:

http://www.mathmammoth.com/comparisons.php

I've never used Rod & Staff, so I can't speak to it. I'm not sure this information helped much, but I thought I'd share some of the things that made me switch to Math Mammoth.

We've used both for 1st grade and they are completely different. Rod and Staff doesn't go over much else than addition and subtraction and it's in the very traditional way. Math Mammoth is what my 1st grader is using and we love it. I feel like it covers math topics from every angle possible. It's mental math so very different from RS.

I have Math Mammoth here and love the way the program looks. From what I can tell it covers topics well, encourages mental math, and is written to be easy for the student to understand even with little teacher involvement. I would love to use it as an independent math program but that just can't happen at my house at this time. We have some learning challenges that require teacher intervention so we're using other math. I do think MM is a great program though especially if you'd like the possibility of independent work.

I am finishing first grade with my youngest. She has used Math Mammoth + Kate Snow's Addition Facts That Stick. It was perfect for her (and me, as the teacher). My DD11 is finishing MM7, so we've used the full series in our house with much success.

• Like 2