Menu

2nd grade Rod & Staff math

If you scroll way down on this page you can see the topics covered, and the hyperlinked lesson names go to samples.  Two is still very parent led though. It would be covered in the scripted lesson plans for a couple/few days before it ever landed on the student page. The student page wouldn't have any instruction on it, because it's already been taught.

You might have better luck calling the publisher directly and asking them to explain specifics to you. (606) 522-4348 - (That link above is to a distributor: R&S doesn't have a website.)

Edited by SilverMoon

I still have the TM's around, but I've since given away the remnants of the workbooks.

Randomly flipping through in the upper 50s lessons I see problems like 65 + 51 and 118 - 67 without any borrowing or carrying being done. It looks like this started in the 40s. The first carrying I see on a student page is in lesson 67. It looks like lesson 65 starts the term carry over in the After Class section. There doesn't seem to be much explicit scripting for walking through this. There's an arrow pointing to the ones/units column and they're expected to write the one over the tens, and add like normal. Since they've been adding more than ten tens for over twenty lessons by now this is just adding another babystep.

I'll dig more, but kids need me at the moment.

I'll add that those first carrying problem sets never get over 121 or thereabouts. The ones/units all add up to 10, 11, or 12. So it's pretty non-intimidating. It looks like the sums slowly grow across lessons.

Just browsing through the book.... In 83 I see those addition problems now with sums in the 130s mixed up with the old subtraction problems (139 - 98 w/ no official borrowing). Lesson 84 has stacks of three numbers to add with carrying. Like 45, 23, and 52 in a stack.

Borrowing starts in the After Class section of 88. There is scripting for this. It tells them the number on top is smaller and you can't subtract that, so we'll go back to the tens and "borrow back." 89 and 90 practice this in Class Time. A worksheet in 90 shows an arrow reminding them to do the ones column first, and says to have them shade the greater number. So in 93 - 65 they would gently color over the 5 with their pencil to show it's bigger. Then "borrow back" before subtracting. It really emphasizes using "Carry over" and "borrow back" to help them remember the direction they're going. In 93 the problem sets are mixed with subtraction problems that will require borrowing and those that won't.

In 114 carry over moves to the hundreds place with problems like 368 + 234. Subtraction doesn't seem to advance to borrowing from the hundreds place at all.

I still have the TM's around, but I've since given away the remnants of the workbooks.

Randomly flipping through in the upper 50s lessons I see problems like 65 + 51 and 118 - 67 without any borrowing or carrying being done. It looks like this started in the 40s. The first carrying I see on a student page is in lesson 67. It looks like lesson 65 starts the term carry over in the After Class section. There doesn't seem to be much explicit scripting for walking through this. There's an arrow pointing to the ones/units column and they're expected to write the one over the tens, and add like normal. Since they've been adding more than ten tens for over twenty lessons by now this is just adding another babystep.

I'll dig more, but kids need me at the moment.

Thanks!

I'll add that those first carrying problem sets never get over 121 or thereabouts. The ones/units all add up to 10, 11, or 12. So it's pretty non-intimidating. It looks like the sums slowly grow across lessons.

Just browsing through the book.... In 83 I see those addition problems now with sums in the 130s mixed up with the old subtraction problems (139 - 98 w/ no official borrowing). Lesson 84 has stacks of three numbers to add with carrying. Like 45, 23, and 52 in a stack.

Borrowing starts in the After Class section of 88. There is scripting for this. It tells them the number on top is smaller and you can't subtract that, so we'll go back to the tens and "borrow back." 89 and 90 practice this in Class Time. A worksheet in 90 shows an arrow reminding them to do the ones column first, and says to have them shade the greater number. So in 93 - 65 they would gently color over the 5 with their pencil to show it's bigger. Then "borrow back" before subtracting. It really emphasizes using "Carry over" and "borrow back" to help them remember the direction they're going. In 93 the problem sets are mixed with subtraction problems that will require borrowing and those that won't.

In 114 carry over moves to the hundreds place with problems like 368 + 234. Subtraction doesn't seem to advance to borrowing from the hundreds place at all.

Thanks again!

It sounds just as slow as the 1st grade book, which is what we need. Painfully slow and repetitive. Lol

Thanks again!

It sounds just as slow as the 1st grade book, which is what we need. Painfully slow and repetitive. Lol

It may be even slower. Gosh. Book 2 is the only one we felt the need to skip sets and even whole lessons in. We did every lesson of every problem in R&S 1 and 3 and nearly every Class Time with average/strong math students. 2 was the exception.

It may be even slower. Gosh. Book 2 is the only one we felt the need to skip sets and even whole lessons in. We did every lesson of every problem in R&S 1 and 3 and nearly every Class Time with average/strong math students. 2 was the exception.

That truly sounds perfect for us! Lmao!

• Like 1

SilverMoon described it exactly spot on. It may be hard to picture it, but like usual, they have you teaching and showing how to do it on the board a few lessons before the student has it on the worksheet. This way of introducing topics has worked well for my DS. He usually gets flustered and irritated at something new and 'hard'. But telling him that he just has to watch and listen to ME doing it for right now seems to diffuse the situation. :) After a few days of watching me and having him do one or two on the board with me, he's ready for them on his worksheet. Perfect! Here is an example of one at the beginning stages of this concept:

-------

As the PP stated, the student has already been taught that he needs to start in the one's column and shade the greater number (8). Since it is on bottom he will 'borrow back' from the 5. Mark out the 5, put a 4 above. Put a "1" in front of the 2 in the ones column. Solve.

I admit the terminology kind of drives me bonkers, but it's working for this DS very well. I think he's pretty good at math, but does NOT want to talk it out with me, explore different ways of doing things, be taught...lol. He just wants to know what to do and move on. :)

HTH!

Edited by MMASC
  • Like 1

Rod and Staff teaches simple carrying and borrowing in second grade. Also: place value to 1000s; addition and subtraction facts to 18; fractions 1/2, 1/3, 1/4; addition and subtraction reading problems; all coins; telling time to quarter hour, minute, hour, gallons, foot/yard, ounce, pound.

In the first three books, all of the instruction is done orally by the teacher from the scripted lessons in the TM. The worksheets in 1st and 2nd, and the text in 3rd, are reinforcement of what was taught, as well as review.

Rod and Staff teaches simple carrying and borrowing in second grade. Also: place value to 1000s; addition and subtraction facts to 18; fractions 1/2, 1/3, 1/4; addition and subtraction reading problems; all coins; telling time to quarter hour, minute, hour, gallons, foot/yard, ounce, pound.

In the first three books, all of the instruction is done orally by the teacher from the scripted lessons in the TM. The worksheets in 1st and 2nd, and the text in 3rd, are reinforcement of what was taught, as well as review.

?

I used 1st, and looked through the scope and sequence of 2nd. All I wanted to know was how it deals with carrying and borrowing.