Menu

Ok, I'm fully convinced critters can read our minds (sigh).

creekland

99% of the time I love our animals, esp the ponies and cats.  Then there's that 1%.  Like today.  When the vet is coming to give our youngsters (ponies) shots.  

We have them trained to be in the barn to get groomed and other similar things.  We worked on reminding them of their manners this past weekend and other times in the past few weeks. No problem!  Why practice?  Because we knew today I shouldn't be out helping hubby 'cause I just had my finger cut into yesterday (removing a mass) and have to do the basics of not getting it dirty or wet for the next week.

Right.  Will they go into the barn today?  Not a chance.  Not a single one of them.  It's windy.  It takes both of us.  Staying clean?  Uhh... well... define clean (sigh).  Once IN the barn three of the four remembered their manners and acted like, "Who me???" :glare:  The other one came around quickly.

Now, however, the finger that wasn't hurting at all has a nice sting to it... and there's that clean thing with all the dirt that went flying in the wind.   :cursing:

Oh well.  That which doesn't kill us only makes us stronger, right?

Meanwhile I'll admit to seriously contemplating whether I should be using a bit of betadine on myself... or if the (small area) bandage could really keep out the dirt that was on the rest of my hand/arm.

We won't even mention the time a couple of weeks ago when we went to visit middle son at college (watch his performances) and the same four decided that night was the night to get out of their pasture and check out the neighborhood.  They'd been in that pasture for days with us at home with no problems at all. 

Fortunately, our neighbors have critters themselves, so we all had a good laugh, but a couple of them who were responsible for the (easy) round up also thanked us for the $25 gift cards we gave them (each) for a "Night Out on the Town" on us.  We included the dates of our next two trips so they could be forewarned.   :lol:

Anyone interested in a mind reading pony?  Fortunately, they are show quality so they don't have to worry about becoming glue...  :laugh:

Yup. Boys are farm sitting today for a dear friend. When was the last time llamas got out? 7 years ago. Who got out today and are seriously in danger of being llama steaks? Same critters, and it is raining outside. Maybe your critters and ours belong to a beast union and today was the unfortunate day of their national strike? I wonder what Ottakee' horses are up to today? Hmmmm...

I vote for betadine.

• Like 1

Yup. Boys are farm sitting today for a dear friend. When was the last time llamas got out? 7 years ago. Who got out today and are seriously in danger of being llama steaks? Same critters, and it is raining outside. Maybe your critters and ours belong to a beast union and today was the unfortunate day of their national strike? I wonder what Ottakee' horses are up to today? Hmmmm...

I vote for betadine.

Ok, I feel better.  We don't have the rain.  Is it a full moon or something?  Earthquake weather?  Are the llamas in now?

Anyone else having mutinous critters today?  Or issues with those who spook when mind reading V E T?

The problem with betadine is I'd have to take the bandage off.  I sort of asked if I could do that this morning on the follow up call when I mentioned it was healing up nicely - no pain - great use, etc, and was told to leave the (same) bandage on for the week anyway.  I wanted to change it to something more convenient - less bulky.  They'd prefer if I didn't.

Technically I should probably go there and let them do it, but... really, I can clean it here.  I'm just not sure I can replicate their bandaging.  Maybe...  We use a different type of wrap on the ponies though.

I'll probably be bad and let it go for 24 hours and see if it seems to be getting infected.  I think the sting is just from pulling on the stitches - not pulling out the stitches.  That ought to hurt a lot more I would think.

Thankfully I just got an update from the barn.  They all stood beautifully for their shots (3 each), so no help needed there.  :hurray:

WHY the big issue at going in the barn?  That's supposed to be the easy part that they've been doing their whole lives!  :cursing:

I vote for betadine too.

I know what you mean.  Animals can sense everything, especially horses and dogs and cats.

I know they sense a bit in general.  What I don't get is how they could sense the vet coming or "the horror" of going into the barn today.

Normally getting them into the barn early is something we do because the vet is coming and they're unaware at that point.  They love coming in the barn due to getting fed there, etc, so it's not like they only come in for evil intent.  That would be understandable.

Then too... how did they figure out we were gone vs just out for the afternoon and/or evening that happens pretty frequently.  We had done chores that morning as usual before we left.

Perhaps they had a spy out there watching us load luggage?

I'm going against my best thoughts and skipping the betadine - solely because the bandage I'd have to switch to wouldn't be theirs.  They soaked theirs (the part next to the skin) in the stuff anyway (I'll admit to peering in), so hopefully that will be sufficient.  If not, I'll have regrets.  Nothing was bleeding.  I used hand sanitizer to clean everything around the bandage.  That avoids getting anything wet.

A big part of me wants to say "too bad" regarding their wishes though - both not changing the bandage and worrying about the hand  in general.  I can do all sorts of vet stuff.  I could keep my own hand clean.  Of course, not being out in the barn/paddock would have been preferable (and what we tried first), but preferred and practical are not always synonyms.  Practical wins when it must.  I should never have asked this morning... it makes me feel obligated to follow through with their answer.

My dog knows when the vet is coming. We don't know how. It is mystery. I think he dabbles in the dark arts, but he always, always knows and then is a spaz all day. I swear that animals have spies at the vet's office.

This is why I think they can sense our brain waves somehow.  Everything seems normal to us, but they can see right through us and make their own plans.  Hubby has to get V E T thoughts out of his mind when/if he tries to put them in alone again (and the vet is coming).  My mind is often wandering elsewhere when I do it.  

It'll be tough to get either of our minds off trips when we're heading out on one, but at least we forewarned our farm keepers this time.

• Like 1

I have a dog and he always seems to know when the movement to the car means "grocery store we'll be back soon" and when it means "vacation without you."

Our cats definitely know this, but I suspect it is due to the luggage being packed and blocking their straight path to their food dish.  We have to watch one of them.  She'll hide.  The other just asks to be let out to be certain he doesn't get packed in the car.  The hider is friendly to our house sitter and loves the treats she gets.  The outdoor lover will make himself scarce freaking out the house sitter as she gets convinced he's met his demise.  He always reappears within an hour of our returning though.  He must keep watch or at least an ear open.