Menu

Christmas present question for Americans living abroad.

We've been living overseas for 8 years and I'm really running out of ideas for Christmas presents to send back to family in the US. We only send a few gifts - my parents, my brother, dh's brother, my cousin and her dc. Any ideas? Things that are lightweight, easy to mail, sturdy enough to not break in transit, and not very expensive.

We've been living overseas for 8 years and I'm really running out of ideas for Christmas presents to send back to family in the US. We only send a few gifts - my parents, my brother, dh's brother, my cousin and her dc. Any ideas? Things that are lightweight, easy to mail, sturdy enough to not break in transit, and not very expensive.

My favorite gifts to send were little English cottage refrigerator magnets. You can buy them separately or as a set. If I remember correctly, it was about $30 for a set of 5.

Here is the name and address:

English Country cottages hand made and painted in the Cotswolds

Keith & Pamela Fellows

The Cottage Studio

2 Potter's Hill Farm Cottages

Langley, Near Leafield

Witney, Oxfordshire

OX29 9QB

England

Telephone 01993 878 282

If I get a chance this weekend, I'll try to take a couple of pictures so you can see what they look like. Each magnet is about 2X2, maybe smaller. I know they also made little notepads, too.

We are Canadians but have family living in the US and Europe. We never mail stuff because shipping is so expensive. We order from amazon.com or amazon.fr (France) or whatever and have the gift delivered directly. So much less hassle and expense. We have also sent amazon gift cards when we weren't sure what the recipient would like.

Janet

Our families all love calendars from Germany. I also did a small gift from each of the countries we have visited and handmade things from the Christmas markets. Polish pottery is always well received and Christmas cookies and gummies from our local gummy bear factory is great.

I stopped giving gifts back in the early 80's and instead too pictures of donations or adopted families to send to my family. Now we Kiva or heifer or whatever organization we pick. Do people in the US really need more *stuff*?

What about a calendar featuring photos of your family's activities in Europe? Many companies in the US make a 12 month calendar, all you need to do is supply them with the photos (internet) and any special dates or comments that you want printed on the calendar.

Or if you have time and the ambition, make your own. I once made a 52 week calendar, using an inexpensive 5x7" spiral bound scrapbook with scrapbook supplies. The photos showed our past year activities with captions and the upcoming year and family celebrations. I set it up for mass production and dh's and my family still look at the photos years later. You could speed things up by using a computer program these days. (I do need to do this again!)

But it's a great way to keep distant family members aware of what's going on in your lives.