Menu

World Geography & Cultural Events

I'm in the early stages of figuring out a world geography & current events class for my 9th and 11th grader for next year. I would like to use the BJU Cultural Geography book as our spine and add in extras.

My first concern is: is this *really* okay for an 11th grader? He is headed for a STEM field and taking 10 credits (Calc 1 and Chem 1) at the community college in the fall, so I want to make his other subjects very manageable and not overwhelming.  He has done a rigorous great books history/lit program for 9th and 10th and done well, so I'm thinking it's ok to lighten up on the humanities for him for 11th and 12th. (Currently thinking geography for 11th and US Gov/Economics for 12th.) The book doesn't *say* anywhere that it's only recommended for 9th grade, so ..... is it okay? 

If we go with BJU, I'd like to flesh it out with videos and print journalism to make it more engaging/current/rounded and would love ideas/suggestions!

I found the Power of Place videos  -- http://www.learner.org/series/powerofplace/. They look fantastic!

Maybe Rick Steves videos for the tourist view? Dispatches from the Front for missions info? 

Other videos you know of?

I'd really like to subscribe to a few periodicals/newspapers. We currently don't receive anything and rarely watch the news.  :eek:

Possibly the New York Times and/or Wall Street Journal?  National Geographic, The Economist, Foreign Affairs, or New York Times Upfront? Help! I would love any suggestions/ideas. Thanks!

This is my favorite resource for geography education http://www.scoop.it/t/geography-education It is curated by Seth Dixon, a geography professor who is very active in the national geography educator's association (I forget the actual name). He posts articles, videos, and other sources several times a week. You can search by tags if you want something on a particular topic.

I have used that website weekly for almost two years.

(FYI Power of Place videos are a little dated. Just know that going in. We replaced them for AP Human Geography with videos I found through Seth Dixon's website and other teacher sites.)

• Like 1

Thank you both. I didn't realize the Power of Place videos were old. I really would like it to be current!

I've bookmarked the Scoop It site. Looks like a lot of great information! 

Also, I logged into TGC. I bought a couple of DVD sets a few years ago, but I haven't been there/purchased anything for awhile. Maybe logging in will cause them to start re-sending the awesome savings mailings to me again!  ;)

• Like 1

On Great Courses, if you don't mind audio only take a look at an Audible subscription. You get one free credit just for signing up, and each $15 month you pay for you get a credit and 30% discount on purchases. A credit can buy an entire GC course, even the large ones.

• Like 1