Menu

You know the milk that comes in a box...

that is not refrigerated until opened? Does it really expire on its expiration date or will it last longer, like most canned food?

Our grocery store recently had some Organic Valley milk packaged this way marked way down because it was about to expire. I almost bought a ton of it, but then chickened out. What do you think?

I do not know but I do remember buying a palette of that boxed milk from Costco only to open it up and pour a big glass of chunks. That was before the exp date. Its only ever happened the one time. It just indicates that at some point, bad stuff can happen.

We lived off that type of milk in Brazil. I would use it. I don't know that I would use it 2 yrs from the expiration date, but I would definitely use it within months of the expiration date. (I know that we did.)

The packaging is theoretically like the canning process. It is sterile and can't spoil.

I will say that I do question whether or not the process destroys the more of the nutritional value than the basic pasturization process because it is ultra-sterilized.

that is the only milk available is most of Mexico (fresh milk is rarely available outside tourist areas) unless we get it direct from the cow.

It is ultra sterilized - research the process and then make your own decision, but I would not even think twice a 2-3 months from expiration as long as the box was without damage.