Menu

When do you start teaching logic and vocabulary? - actually programs

pocjets

My oldest will be in 6th grade next year and I've never done an official vocabulary program with her. I was just if I should start something official this year and if so, what? Also, do you do a formal logic curriculum in 6th, 7th, or 8th grade?

I begin logic with my kids in 5th. They do Logic Countdown, then Logic Lift-off in 6th, Fallacy Detective in 7th and Thinking Toolbox in 8th. I'm not sure if any of those courses count as "formal" logic, but I like them. I also keep Perplexors around for them to do for fun.

I usually don't do a vocab program until they are done with spelling. So far that's been in 8th grade for my oldest and we did Vocabulary Cartoons, which I loved because it was so simple and painless. I believe WTM recommends a word-roots program like Vocabulary from Classical Roots.

After they're done with spelling, we start Vocab from Classical Roots (that's about 7th-ish around here).

For logic we do Building Thinking Skills and Mind Benders and Crypto Mind Benders in 3rd-8th, but no formal logic til 9th when they do Art of Argument and Argument Builder. It's not TWTM way, but it works for us.