Menu

GSWL vs Prima Latina

UCF612

I'm debating what Latin to start my son on next year for 4th grade.  Is GSWL better than/less than Prima Latina.  What would (did) you choose? Or is there something else I should be looking into.  I don't want anything expensive as Latin is going to be a trial thing! I love the idea of it but not sure how invested in it we'll get.  If it sticks then I'm willing to spend more in the future for upper levels.  

So advice?  I have read a million latin threads on here and just.can't.decide.  I think I've got it down to these 2 choices.  So sell me on one over the other!

Extraneous info...we are Christian but don't necessarily care if the material is Christian (so long as it isn't strongly anti-Christian).  My son is a great reader, strong vocabulary, okay at grammar.  He doesn't seem to have any strong leanings toward whole vs parts learning and doesn't have one single learning style that prevails over any other though he does seem to remember things well if he reads them.  

Thanks!   

I think Prima Latina is too simple for a 4th grader. I am doing it slowly with my first grader now. If you were to choose Memoria Press, either go with Latina Christiana or First Form. I like Memoria Press Latin so far because it is straight forward and the DVDs give DS another teacher! I don't have any experience with GSWL. I am Christian as well, and Memoria Press leans toward Catholicism but I have not encountered anything that contradicts Biblical Christianity so far.

• Like 1

Well, PL might be too simple for some 4th graders and just right for others. I have average kids, so YMMV. You could start with PL, but I agree that LC is a better level for many 4th graders. (IMO, First Form is too writing intensive and moves too quickly to use as an intro class for a 4th grader.)

I'd do GSWL. The biggest downside to GSWL is you'll be in this same fix next year (deciding on a program). You will know if you and or your kid will want to continue then and will be set up for success with most programs after that. (You could jump into First Form then, if you wanted.)

• Like 1