Menu

Vocabulary from the Classical Roots...

I'm considering this program for my dd who is in 10th. Her vocabulary experience (from PS) is weak to moderate. Any ideas on what level to start her at?

If I started her back at level A--how long would it take for her to 'catch up'? How many lessons are in each book/level?

TIA

Sixteen lessons per level. After every two lessons there is a review with several writing options. How long your daughter would require is dependent upon her workload. My son breezes through multiple choice questions, but always takes longer on writing assignments.

Jann, if you decide to go this route, PM me. I have several teacher's guide/answer key books from this series that I will be happy to send you.

Jane

16 lessons per book. We found it very easy to complete one book in a semester; just assign one lesson per week (or even slightly more than one lesson) and you should complete the book in a semester.

I don't know if you have to start on Book A, but if you want to, you could complete Books A and B this school year (2008-2009), possibly do Book C over the summer (2009), and Books D and E for the next school year (2009-2010).

We got up through Book D with my oldest before she was enrolled in private school, which we started this year. We started in 7th grade, and I had them complete VCR in the fall and Wordly Wise in the spring. I think both are excellent vocabulary programs! Wordly Wise has 20 lessons per book, so we started that towards the end of the fall semester and were able to finish a book by the end of spring semester.

Vocabulary From Classical Roots is an excellent program, but it does have its weaknesses. I had my daughter, who studied Latin for several years and completed all levels of Spelling Workout previously, complete books A and B during her 9th grade year. This was easily done. At the end of the year she felt that (1) the words were too obscure and (2) there wasn't enough practice with the vocabulary. Complaint (2) could have been easily remedied by using the ideas in the teacher's manual; however, I needed her to do this subject independently. This year she is using Wordly Wise 10. You might want to give it some consideration.