Menu

AoPS pre-A with WTMA after BA?

I've registered my son for AOPS prealgebra with WTMA for next year. By then he will have covered Beast Academy 4 and 5A (5B if it comes out soon enough). Do you all think this will be sufficient prep for pre-A? Otherwise, what kind of prep should I do this summer? I have all of Zaccarro's books at home as well as Jousting Armadillos. 

The things I find most kids (as well as my dd who has just started AoPS PreA from Beast) have trouble with are:

Exponents - everything is taught in AoPS PreA, bu it is a huge step up from where most have been - especially cancelling exponents within fractions

Negative numbers - especially distributing negatives over parentheses

Distributive property - be good at using the distributive property as a prerequisite to factoring

Order of operations

Fractions - especially how to manipulate and cancel when multiplying and dividing fractions; also how to turn a division problem into a fraction to simplify before solving

The first few chapters are the hardest.

• Like 5

My son did JA before AOPS, but he did Singapore 5A and 5B right before that. He was adequately prepared for all the concepts - i.e. He already recognized almost all of the material but AOPS took it to a much more challenging level.

Definitely helpful to have covered rates, proportions and percents. And don't forget to avail yourself of the online videos during the course. Very helpful and thorough for the regular problems. (Challenging problems were ALWAYS hard no matter what).

We aren't taking the online class and we are mid chapter 3 but I've heard many say the first few chapters are the hardest. We finished BA 4D at the beginning of the school year and did a little Zaccaro Upper Elementary Challenge Math while waiting for BA 5A. We finished 5A a little while ago and moved into AoPS PreAlgebra. It's challenging, but my daughter doesn't think it's "hard". She doesn't expect to get all the challenge problems correct (much like the star problems in BA) but she gets a fair number of them. She is a pretty good math student and enjoys it. Honestly, when I looked at the WTMA class, my biggest concern was the the Singapore portion because we left that behind so long ago.  

I wanted to add that a strong math student can come from about any program and start in AoPS Prealgebra. Everything is taught from the beginning, but weaker students will struggle with the speed and not having done a lot of practice on easier problems.

There are many of us that had students jump from 5th grade math to AoPS Algebra, but it isn't something I'd recommend.

I've had both types of students in my home, and I've tutored a number of students that are having trouble with the transition to AoPS Prealgebra.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I've registered my son for AOPS prealgebra with WTMA for next year. By then he will have covered Beast Academy 4 and 5A (5B if it comes out soon enough). Do you all think this will be sufficient prep for pre-A? Otherwise, what kind of prep should I do this summer? I have all of Zaccarro's books at home as well as Jousting Armadillos.

How is the class going? Was it a good fit for your child?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

How is the class going? Was it a good fit for your child?

I ended up dropping it before the semester began, because I didn't want to rush. I figured we'd take this year to slowly go through BA 5, do some Zaccaro and Alcumus, then hit pre-a the next year. I did email AOPS and they said that he would have been fine doing the class after BA 5B and they gave me some suggested topics to cover to bridge the gap. For now I have registered him for next year. 

• Like 1