Menu

I found something that looks very promising for elementary Spanish!

My son is doing Song School Spanish & The Fun Spanish right now (beefed up with workbook pages from Teach Them Spanish and Rockalingua songs) and I've been looking for ideas on what to do next. I've scoured these forums and didn't really find anything that was targeted between absolute beginner and middle school. I just found a set of 2 workbooks on Amazon that look really promising! Español En Vivo Level 1 covers the basics, and level 2 seems to be that next step I was looking for. The samples look really nice, with a focus on conversation. I love that the author made a menu to practice ordering from, and has the students write their own dialogues (would be perfect for making a comic strip). They are pretty inexpensive too. I hope the author keeps writing them.

Edited by ondreeuh
  • Like 1

My 5th and 7th grade boys didn't know a word of any foreign language so last September they began Northern Arizona University's Elementary Spanish DVD.  NAU also has 7th and 8th grade Spanish.  Even though Elementary Spanish is designed to place beginning Spanish students in their age appropriate grade, I placed them both in grade 1 with plans for them to watch one lesson during their school day lunch break.  They love it and are about to start grade 4 lessons.  

I haven't heard anything about NAU's 7th and 8th grade Spanish but here's the link in case it might be a nice low key option for you.

http://esp.extended.nau.edu/EducacionEspanola.aspx

Edited by Timberly
  • Like 1

My 5th and 7th grade boys didn't know a word of any foreign language so last September they began Northern Arizona University's Elementary Spanish DVD. NAU also has 7th and 8th grade Spanish. Even though Elementary Spanish is designed to place beginning Spanish students in their age appropriate grade, I placed them both in grade 1 with plans for them to watch one lesson during their school day lunch break. They love it and are about to start grade 4 lessons.

I haven't heard anything about NAU's 7th and 8th grade Spanish but here's the link in case it might be a nice low key option for you.

http://esp.extended.nau.edu/EducacionEspanola.aspx

What did you order? http://extended.nau.edu/tvs/uhouseorderform.aspx?FormID=2

Last August when my 7th grader’s Potters School Elementary Spanish class was cancelled, I scrambled to find a replacement for a STEM loving boy who hasn't been exposed to a single foreign language word.  I didn’t think his profoundly dyslexic DS11 brother would want to join his older brother in NAU’s Spanish DVD lessons but he did. Only DS13 does the workbook that goes with the lessons which takes him maybe five minutes. Last week the 5th grade dyslexic said learning Spanish has taught him he can do hard things. Maybe seven years of NAU’s Elementary Spanish will prepare him for a twelfth grade introductory Spanish class.  

These boys don’t have their older sister’s passion for foreign languages so I wanted something with bells and whistles to excite them. I’m thrilled with the program because they are not tied to an online class schedule and they enjoy watching lessons while eating lunch on the coach.

In September they started NAU’s “Elementary Spanish grades 5-6 DVDs†but after two weeks it was obvious we needed to back up because the kids’ were working so hard on their other subjects they didn’t have much energy leftover to apply to Spanish.  It was painful to pay for grades 1-6, but I’m glad I did because the kids relaxed and began enjoying Spanish lessons. Since August, they have watched grades one and two and are now half way through grade three. 

Initially I bought:

Grades 5-6 for $315 plus CDs and Holiday DVD

• Unit 1: Comunicamos juntos / Together We Communicate 
  • Unit 2: Tu país / Your Country 
  • Unit 3: Los deportes / Sports 
  • Unit 4: La música y los instrumentos / Music & Instruments 
  • Unit 5: Vamos de vacaciones / We Are Going on Vacation 
  • Unit 6: Mi familia y yo / My Family & I 
  • Unit 7: Pesando y midiendo en la escuela / Weighing & Measuring in the School 
  • Unit 8: ¿Dónde vives? / Where Do You Live? 
  • Unit 9: El tiempo y la geografía / Weather and Geography 
  • Unit 10: La comida / Food National Standards for Foreign Language Learning
  • Grades 1-6, CD Rom for Mac/Windows Units 1-5 $30 (haven't used)
  • Grades 1-6, CD Rom for Mac/Windows Uit 6-10 $30 (haven't used)
  • Music and Songbook $25 (haven't used)
  • Mexican Holiday Series $39 (haven't used)

A few weeks later I purchased:

Grades 1-4 $468:

• Grades 1-2, Units 1-5 DVD set
  • Grades 1-2, Units 1-5 Workbook
  • Grades 1-2, Units 6-10 DVD set
  • Grades 1-2, Units 6-10 Workbook
  • Grades 3-4, Units 1-5 DVD set
  • Grades 3-4, Units 1-5 Workbook
  • Grades 3-4, Unit 6-10 DVD set
  • Grades 3-4, Unit 6-10 Workbook

Here’s some info from NAU’s website:

“Elementary Spanish†fun video lessons from Northern Arizona University for grades 1-6

Fun video lessons teach the language in an interactive and entertaining way.  This curriculum is designed to teach Spanish without requiring a teacher who knows Spanish.  Approximately 50 1/2 hour video lessons per each grade level/year.  The spiral curriculum allows students to start lessons at their current grade level and in either year of the alternating curriculum. NAU brings the many cultures of the Hispanic world alive in an authentic and age appropriate way, including special Day of the Dead lessons for each program.

Content-enriched Foreign Language. The Elementary Spanish program is designed so a parent or teacher who is not fluent in the language can easily and effectively use the lessons to teach Spanish. With these DVD’s, you can pause and play at will or jump to any desired section. The program was created with a two-year alternating curriculum where two grades are combined and both grades are studying the same content in any given school year. 

One year is Units 1-5 and the alternating year is Units 6-10. The curriculum is designed to facilitate student entrance at the beginning of either year of the curriculum. The first year of instruction assumes that there are both continuing students and entering students, so we work on reviewing as well as introducing a common base of knowledge for that year's instructional themes. The rest of the year's instruction builds on that initial unit. The entire curriculum is spiraled for both foreign language elements and thematic content throughout the six years of programs. This approach originated with our beginnings as a distance education course, during which we had both continuing and entering schools at every grade level, every year

Home School Elementary Spanish

Grades 1-2, Elementary Spanish Program, Units 1-5 $99

Grades 1-2, Elementary Spanish Program, Units 6-10 $99

Grades 1-2, Additional Set of DVDs, Units 1-5 $99

Grades 1-2, Additional Set of DVDs, Units 6-10 $99

Grades 1-2, Teacher’s guide, Units 6-10 $59

Grades 1-2, ES Student Workbook, Units 1-5 $8

Grades 1-2, ES Student Workbook, Units 6-10 $8

Grades 3-4, Elementary Spanish Program, Units 1-5 $99

Grades 3-4, Elementary Spanish Program, Units 6-10 $99

Grades 3-4, Additional Set of DVDs, Units 1-5 $99

Grades 3-4, Additional Set of DVDs, Units 6-10 $99

Grades 3-4, Teacher’s guide, Units 1-5 $59

Grades 3-4, Teacher’s guide, Units 6-10 $59

Grades 3-4, ES Student Workbook, Units 1-5 $8

Grades 3-4, ES Student Workbook, Units 6-10 $8

Grades 5-6, Elementary Spanish Program, Units 1-5 $99

Grades 5-6, Elementary Spanish Program, Units 6-10 $99

Grades 5-6, Additional Set of DVDs, Units 1-5 $99

Grades 5-6, Additional Set of DVDs, Units 6-10 $99

Grades 5-6, Teacher’s Guide, Units 1-5 $59

Grades 5-6, Teacher’s Guide, Units 6-10 $59

Grades 5-6, ES Student Workbook, Units 1-5 $8

Grades 5-6, ES Student Workbook, Units 6-10 $8

Grades 7-8, Educacion Espanola, Complete Set (Programs 1 & 2), Units 1-100 $349

Grade 7, Educacion Espanola, (Program 1), Units 1-50 $199

Grade 7, Educacion Espanola, (Program 2), Units 51-100 $199

Grades 7-8, Educacion Espanola, Additional Set of DVDs, Units 1-50 $199

Grades 7-8, Educacion Espanola, Additional Set of DVDs, Units 51-100 $199

Grades 7-8, Educacion Espanola, Teacher’s Guide, Units 1-50 $59

Grades 7-8, Educacion Espanola, Teacher’s Guide, Units 51-100 $59

Grades 7-8, Educacion Espanola, ee Student Workbooks, Units 1-50 $11

Grades 7-8, Educacion Espanola, ee Student Workbooks, Units 51-100 $11

Grades 1-6, CD Rom for Mac/Windows Units 1-5 $30

Grades 1-6, CD Rom for Mac/Windows Uit 6-10 $30

Music and Songbook $25

Mexican Holiday Series $39

Edited to correct my two purchases

Edited by Timberly

$$$!!!

But:

"Last week the 5th grade dyslexic said learning Spanish has taught him he can do hard things."

Wonderful!!!

Edited by OKBud

It used to be available on Discovery Education, too.

When we watched a few lessons on Discovery Education but the streaming was so choppy I decided to buy the DVDs.  Maybe our internet is too slow to handle Discovery Education?  NAU's website says something about the lessons being free for DISH Network subscribers but we don't have DISH Network.  Watching the lessons at the library might be an option for some.  

Edited by Timberly