Menu

Anyone know about cars. . what could this be

bettyandbob

I haven't filled up in a week. Gauge is registering a little under half tank. I know I need about 4 gallons (this is a Prius). I pull into Costco and the pump keeps shutting off. I manage to get a gallon. I try again at another pump and that pump shuts off constantly. I get 1.5 gallons there with that pump shutting off. Meanwhile other people seem to be getting gas at Costco without problems. I drive away and my gauge remains at less than half tank. With the addition of 2.5 gallons the gauge should move to at least 3/4 tank.

The pump shutting off doesn't bother me, but that in combination with the gauge not registering a change does.

Like many people I don't have time for this. Can I get through the weekend and drop my car on Sunday night? Is this something dire? Do I need to just park it?

I haven't filled up in a week. Gauge is registering a little under half tank. I know I need about 4 gallons (this is a Prius). I pull into Costco and the pump keeps shutting off. I manage to get a gallon. I try again at another pump and that pump shuts off constantly. I get 1.5 gallons there with that pump shutting off. Meanwhile other people seem to be getting gas at Costco without problems. I drive away and my gauge remains at less than half tank. With the addition of 2.5 gallons the gauge should move to at least 3/4 tank.

The pump shutting off doesn't bother me, but that in combination with the gauge not registering a change does.

Like many people I don't have time for this. Can I get through the weekend and drop my car on Sunday night? Is this something dire? Do I need to just park it?

I had something similar happen at a Costco. The pump kept shutting off even though it registered only a dollar in cost.  I kept trying to put more gas in and it kept shutting off.    My gas gauge registered full when I turned the car on though.  It was a pump problem. I went back when I figured it out and tried to pay, but they said to enjoy the free tank of gas! 

Anyway, maybe there is something wrong with your gas gauge and your tank is actually full? 

• Like 1

This could be totally off, but it does sound like something that happened to me too.  I knew my tank was not full yet the pump kept shutting off.  After happening several times (and it working fine for my husband) I finally realized that I was holding the nozzle sort of at an angle when I was pumping the gas.  When I lifted the handle higher and sort of closer to the car, the nozzle angled in a little differently and the pump started again without any problems.  Worth a try.  :)

Edited by LadyR