Menu

Is this normal?

My 8 yr old is a great reader and great at math. But she STILL occasionally writes some numbers and letters backward. When I say occasionally, I mean about once a day. Maybe that is more than occasional. The worst offenders are "2", "5". "6", "S", and yesterday she even wrote "E" backward. It is driving me crazy! But I don't know if this is normal or if something is wrong?? Help!

My 7 yr old dd is doing 5th grade math and reading high school level books for fun and she is a big time offender of writing backwards. My dd is left-handed which I assumed was contributing to the issue- since she covers up what she has just written with her left hand. Is your dd by chance left-handed? I am looking forward to what others have to say about this... I have asked an educational psychologist who said it "can" be normal up to about age 8 or 9...

Susan

My 7 yr old dd is doing 5th grade math and reading high school level books for fun and she is a big time offender of writing backwards. My dd is left-handed which I assumed was contributing to the issue- since she covers up what she has just written with her left hand. Is your dd by chance left-handed? I am looking forward to what others have to say about this... I have asked an educational psychologist who said it "can" be normal up to about age 8 or 9...

Susan

She is left handed! I had thought of mentioning that, but I thought it was irrelevant. Interesting.

I hope I didn't change the topic of your original question- I apologize if I did... My daughter writes whole words and sentences backwards.... She has improved since I gently brought it to her attention. But, it is causing problems with math especially, since she is starting to do algebra and geometry- the math requires her to write down the steps and she is getting problems wrong when she writes 31 instead of 13 in the middle of a multiple step problem.... I am hoping that by sitting by her side during writing she will accept my gentle correction & reminders.

Anyway, if this is off your original topic of "is this normal" please disregard.

I am really interested in hearing other people's insight into this issue...

Susan

I hope I didn't change the topic of your original question- I apologize if I did... My daughter writes whole words and sentences backwards.... She has improved since I gently brought it to her attention. But, it is causing problems with math especially, since she is starting to do algebra and geometry- the math requires her to write down the steps and she is getting problems wrong when she writes 31 instead of 13 in the middle of a multiple step problem.... I am hoping that by sitting by her side during writing she will accept my gentle correction & reminders.

Anyway, if this is off your original topic of "is this normal" please disregard.

Susan

Oh no, it's fine! Anna does not write entire words/sentences backward, just individual numbers and letters. The thing is, when I tell her to look at it again, she realizes what she did wrong most of the time. Maybe she is growing out of it...

Susan

The way your daughter writes is called mirror writing. Leonardo Da Vinci wrote this way.

My right handed 8 year old dd writes some numbers and letters backward, most often they are 3, 4 and 5 and 6 and d, n, p, s and sometimes e.

When I was her age I wrote backward letters as well (I am left handed). I just keep correcting and watching for improvement and wondering about dyslexia...I'm not concerned enough to have her tested for it yey though.

Jenny

My youngest did mirror writing. One day he wrote the entire alphabet completely backwards from right to left.

He is left handed and I assumed it was the reason and didn't dwell on it much. He eventually came up with his own version of d/b...he drew one line down the middle and put a lump on both side at the bottom. Eventually it just went away and I miss those days! I do hope when I go back thru his early school papers I have one with his little made up letter!

Our whiteboard tray has a paper taped to the edge with a B b D d on it because dd(now10) got her b's and d's mixed up until, oh, yesterday or so. :) Just keep giving her visual cues, expect her to correct it without losing your/her cool, and she'll get it. I wouldn't worry.