Menu

How does your CC group handle childcare/nursery and how is it paid for?

How does your CC group do childcare/who pays/etc?    I think the policy of CC is that only children who are breastfeeding are allowed to be in the classroom with mom, but I've heard that some communities are more lax.     How is it done in your community?   If childcare (nursery) is provided, who pays for it and how do you pay?

Do you pay up front for the entire year?  Do you pay x amount per kid to the nursery worker?    etc....

We have childcare that you can enroll and pay upfront for the entire year.  But we also allow younger siblings in the classrooms - with the understanding that if your child is causing too much commotion that you'll take them out in the hall or put them into the childcare.  For those moms who haven't paid for childcare, if they want/need to use the childcare on a given week, they pay a daily fee.  The families using childcare pay.  I have the upfront fee, as I'm a tutor and can't have my littles under foot.  So I paid it along with my kids' tuition and the director paid the childcare worker.  But I think for the daily users, they pay the childcare worker directly.  I'm not 100% certain how the daily thing works, but I do know it's not free. :)

We have a nursery coordinator (mom volunteer) who finds paid nursery workers ( college students, moms with just 1 little). Some semesters moms have also rotated through. We pay by semester. Our whole community has "pizza fundraisers" a few times a year to help cover some of the costs ( for families with a bunch of littles). One year we had 23 kids in nursery!!! Next year I think there will be less than 10. We are also a little bit lax about kids in the class - as long as they are not disturbing. I think there is a drop in fee but I am not sure what it is.

All the moms rotate to cover the morning nursery care in 30 minute shifts. This year for Essentials, we hired an art teacher and a music teacher to teach a supplemental class to the Essentials siblings from 1-2:30, then rotated to cover the last half hour. However, for second semester, many moms opted not do do the supplemental classes for financial reasons and we ended up creating a rotating nursery schedule to cover the afternoon sibling childcare as well. I think that next year we will end up hiring a babysitter because the classes were too expensive for some families and it is a lot on the rest of the community to watch them.