Menu

How do I get a compost pile (re) started?

That's basically my question in a nutshell!

We moved--the new place has a compost bin in the back yard, but it has been neglected. It is full of twigs and pine needles, not "composty" at all. What should I do (add? in what proportion? empty it first?) to get it working again and making nice compost?

Twigs and pine needles take forever to compost. I'd just take them out and start over. Throw in weeds, grass clippings, leaves, food (not meat) scraps, etc. If you are really motivated, you can dig it up and turn it over every now and again.

Too many grass clippings at once need something in between so the air can get in (use some of those twigs here or some dirt.)

Meat will compost but often attracts animals first.

The whole thing will compost faster if dirt is mixed in.

the pine needles will compost but will need lime and nitrogen.

to make compost heat up and start composting faster add nitrogen, this can be in the form of green leafy matter, artificial fertilizer, animal manue.etc.

we use artificial nitrogen fertilizer. my husband has huge compost bins, and he composts sawdust. in about 2 months he has it all composted and beautiful, looking like potting mix.