Menu

Geometry for 7 year old?

My DD7 is interested in learning "more geometry, tiling, tesselations and stuff."

She's currently working through Beast 4B and Singapore CWP 4.  I don't think she's ready for the heavy duty logic of an actual geometry course. Does anyone have suggestions for fun resources?  I thought about origami - the hard core polyhedral stuff - but I'm not sure she has the manual dexterity to pull it off without a lot of frustration.

I'd love your input!

My DD7 is interested in learning "more geometry, tiling, tesselations and stuff."

She's currently working through Beast 4B and Singapore CWP 4.  I don't think she's ready for the heavy duty logic of an actual geometry course. Does anyone have suggestions for fun resources?  I thought about origami - the hard core polyhedral stuff - but I'm not sure she has the manual dexterity to pull it off without a lot of frustration.

I'd love your input!

Why do you think she isn't ready for the logic of geometry?  Younger kids are extremely logical, and far more adept at abstraction than teens or adults.

I've had to accept that DS is an oddball for doing it at 7/8, but I have had a lot of success with other kids.  Just don't try to do it at full pace - they really need time to play with the ideas at those ages.

You can work through Patty Paper Geometry, doing the guided investigations. Or you could work through some of the Sir Cumference books. I know a couple are geometry based - I used to make up manipulatives to go with them.

Forgot about Sir Cumference. Older DS read those. I don't think anything stuck, but at this point, it doesn't really need to.

Why do you think she isn't ready for the logic of geometry?  Younger kids are extremely logical, and far more adept at abstraction than teens or adults.

I've had to accept that DS is an oddball for doing it at 7/8, but I have had a lot of success with other kids.  Just don't try to do it at full pace - they really need time to play with the ideas at those ages.

Thanks! What resources / curriculum do you use for geometry for your 7/8 year old? She's read all the Sir Cumference books.

I think I remember people also mentioning Hands On Geometry as a possible resource. It's aimed at 4th to 6th grade.

http://www.amazon.com/Hands-On-Geometry-Constructions-Straightedge-Compass/dp/1593634188

There's quite a bit of geometry in SM 4...maybe the intensive practice books for SM 4? I just double checked the contents for both A & B. About half of each is geometry topics. Even more if you consider fractions as a related topic.

ETA:

The author of Patty Paper Geometry also wrote a newer book called Pirate Math which is also about geometry. I haven't heard anyone talk about it yet though.

http://www.amazon.com/Pirate-Math-Michael-Serra/dp/0983409919/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1459989236&sr=1-1&keywords=pirate+math

Edited by calbear
  • Like 2