Menu

Help me think through this... cell phone data plans...

Dianne-TX

We live in the country.  I posted the cell tower question because I thought it could be an income opportunity for us as well as offer better signals for us and those around us.  We aren't too far out in the country (towns are as close at 10 miles), but we are in the country enough that ATT won't give us DSL and uverse isn't available of course.  A local privately owned company even says that there are too many trees between us and their closest signal.  However, we have a tall tv antenna that extends fairly high above our roof and they said that they might be able to work with us using that since it's as higher or even higher as some of the trees.  So... my question now is asking for help determining the best economical situation for our data plans for cell phones.  Right now we have 40gb of data total (right around $300/month) and use a hot spot in the house for internet connection and it works relatively well.  However, in the last year we have had data usage issues that we didn't have the first year of living here (we will have lived here 2 years in July).  We have more consistently, than inconsistently, used up all our data each month in this last year and that is even after learning all the tips to save on data (turn off wi-fi assist, turn off wireless on our phones/computers when finished, turn off hot spot every night, turn off apps and cellular on phone, etc.)  We are not a gaming family, constant video/streaming family (can't even get a good connection to upload/download), etc, etc.  ATT can't give us answers as to why this has happened even after changing our behaviors to make sure we are turning everything off.  (Fuming over that, but that's another story...)  Since the local internet company (they offer a dsl type connection with unlimited service- 3 plans to choose ranging from $56-116) has said that we likely can get a connection with our tall antenna, what changes can we make to our phone plans to save the most money?  What company has the best rates, plans, customer service, etc, etc.  We won't need a high data plan anymore since we will have the unlimited connection at home, so a decent plan for when we aren't home is all we will need (talk/text/minimal data-- not sure what minimal is though?).  Looking to save the most money for good service and plan.  Any suggestions?  I feel like this post is jumbled with words, but I hope you get the idea of what I'm asking. 

I get what you're saying.  We too are rural and can't get "normal" internet.  We just found a satellite provider that was reasonably priced, albeit not reliable.  Reliable-ish. ;)

We were on 30gb of data and by the last week we were constantly monitoring data useage and/or having overages.  We couldn't stream at all, etc.  Since the switch, our new plan is only 6gb.  I will tell you we had the children shut off their cell data last week, lol, but I steadfastly refuse to increase it.   If we increase it, we use it.  They have access to wi-fi at home now, and at their classes.  Our cell data is now consistently set to off unless we are traveling to/from somewhere and we need it.  6gb is sufficient for that.  Talk and text essentially are unlimited on all family plans now, aren't they?  We just switched companies and it seemed as though that was true.  I will tell you we switched from ATT.  Their service was great but I think we paid too much for our phones through them.  I don't know if you know, but you can track which phone is using the most data each month through your ATT online account.  This would tell you more.  Anyone looking at a lot of pictures (i.e., facebook, etc.) can still burn a lot of data through their phones.  

• Like 1

How many are on your plan?  We have 5 people on our plan and have 8 GB.  My dh and I are in a rural area, but our kids are in metro areas.  We all mostly use our phones in wi-fi areas, but we don't worry about it TOO much.  It really works out just perfectly.  We don't feel like we have to scrimp, but at the same time we're careful.  We always use wi-fi when we can, we turn off automatic app updates, we turn off the feature that allows our phones to switch to data automatically (without our knowing it) if it's in a slower wi-fi area, etc.  We'll probably be adding a 6th person on our plan this summer, so we'll see how 8 GB works then!

• Like 1

I get what you're saying.  We too are rural and can't get "normal" internet.  We just found a satellite provider that was reasonably priced, albeit not reliable.  Reliable-ish. ;)

We were on 30gb of data and by the last week we were constantly monitoring data useage and/or having overages.  We couldn't stream at all, etc.  Since the switch, our new plan is only 6gb.  I will tell you we had the children shut off their cell data last week, lol, but I steadfastly refuse to increase it.   If we increase it, we use it.  They have access to wi-fi at home now, and at their classes.  Our cell data is now consistently set to off unless we are traveling to/from somewhere and we need it.  6gb is sufficient for that.  Talk and text essentially are unlimited on all family plans now, aren't they?  We just switched companies and it seemed as though that was true.  I will tell you we switched from ATT.  Their service was great but I think we paid too much for our phones through them.  I don't know if you know, but you can track which phone is using the most data each month through your ATT online account.  This would tell you more.  Anyone looking at a lot of pictures (i.e., facebook, etc.) can still burn a lot of data through their phones.  

Oh, yes, we watch the online account like hawks.  It's always the hot spot pulling the most data, which is why I'm so ready to get the other internet option.  What company are you with now?  Phone, not satellite.  Thanks for your thoughts.

How many are on your plan?  We have 5 people on our plan and have 8 GB.  My dh and I are in a rural area, but our kids are in metro areas.  We all mostly use our phones in wi-fi areas, but we don't worry about it TOO much.  It really works out just perfectly.  We don't feel like we have to scrimp, but at the same time we're careful.  We always use wi-fi when we can, we turn off automatic app updates, we turn off the feature that allows our phones to switch to data automatically (without our knowing it) if it's in a slower wi-fi area, etc.  We'll probably be adding a 6th person on our plan this summer, so we'll see how 8 GB works then!

3 and the hot spot.  The hot spot won't be needed once we get the home internet. 

3 and the hot spot.  The hot spot won't be needed once we get the home internet. 

Well, you could always start with 4 GB and see how that goes.  They usually make it real easy to add on more if you are coming close to the limit.  They'll text you and you'll probably just need to reply "yes"  :-).