Menu

What are some good reading books for 1 & 3rd graders?

bttrflyvld

What are some books you enjoyed that would be good to go along with the 1600-1850 late renaissance/early modern time frame?  If I was to stick to the rotation.  Either to be read by a 1st and 3rd grader or to be read too.

I look at the list suggested in the well trained mind and have no idea where to start.  They all look daunting.   Suggestions?   

We enjoyed reading through the Usborne Internet Linked Medieval World Encyclopedia as our spine.  My son loves all the You Wouldn't Want To books. We used these for the Middle Ages and Renaissance:  You Wouldn't Want to Work on a Medieval Cathedral, You Wouldn't Want to be a Medieval Knight, You Wouldn't Want to be a Crusader, and You Wouldn't Want to Explore with Marco Polo.  Our favorite fiction books were Saint George and the Dragon, Tales from Shakespeare by Lamb, and the Tale of King Arthur retold by Felicity Brooks. 

ETA:  I read these aloud to a 2nd grader. 

Edited by dsbrack
  • Like 1

I'd look at booklists from tons of curricula providers

Veritas Press

Sonlight

Barefoot Ragamuffin - Wayfarers

Biblioplan

Tapestry of Grace

Well Trained Mind

Ambleside Online

Memoria Press

there is soo much out there. I just noticed there are a ton of books for sale on the used curricula pages right now.  LOTS of historical fiction!

• Like 1