Menu

Talk to me about graphing calculators . . .

My son's school is offering the TI-73 Explorer graphing calculator for $58.80. He is an advanced 5th grader and the teachers "feel your student will benefit from" this purchase.

Here's my question: I've searched the threads about this and the TI-84 keeps coming up as the graphing calculator of choice. The 73 looks a lot more elementary than the 84. Should I save the money on the 73 and go ahead and get the 84? My son will eventually be heavily involved in higher level math and science (calculus, physics), as he wants to be either a doctor or dentist.

Please share your thoughts on this with me!

Suzanne

I guess the big question first though is what kind of math is your student currently doing? Is this calculator something that the school is using in the classroom where if he doesn't have it, he'll be left out or looking over someone else's shoulder? If it is something they are going to be actively using in the course, then everything I'm going to say below gets thrown out the window in favor of just going ahead and buying it. IMO Plus, the price is outstanding for that model.

That said, if this is just for home use, a few months ago, I would have said get the 84. But, and this is a big but, technology is changing rapidly and the 84 has been around for quite a while. TI is really starting to push their new line, the Nspire. I personally would look for it to eventually replace the 83 and 84 line. I don't think they've come out and said anything about phasing the 84's out, but the Nspire looks to be the new cutting edge or replacement tool of choice. I think they are even allowed on the SAT already, but don't quote me on that. So, all things considered, I think there is a strong possibility that by the time your child "needs" it, the calculator of choice may have changed.

I know it is tempting the buy the more advanced calculator thinking it will be the better long term benefit. But, from what I've seen of the Explorer line, it looks like it is geared to the middle school market....sort of an introduction to graphing calculators. It is definitely not the same as the old 73's...this looks different. I'm including a link to the TI website....you may want to look around there and see what you think.

Here's the 73 explorer page

http://http://education.ti.com/educationportal/sites/US/productDetail/us_ti73.html

and the 84 page

http://education.ti.com/educationportal/sites/US/productDetail/us_ti84pse.html

and the Nspire page

http://education.ti.com/educationportal/sites/US/productDetail/us_nspire.html

It seems to me in your situation, application is everything. If he's using it for school, I'd go with what they are recommending because all the activities will be geared for that particular tool. If it is just for home use....maybe you could get your hands on a gently used 83 or 84, but I don't think he'd really get that much use out of the advanced features for a while...

Hope I have not totally confused the issue and made your choice more difficult.

I can't imagine using a graphing calculator before Alg. II, even then it seems some students don't use it, if my dd's online pre-calc class is any indication.

But yes, I would definitely get something in the 80-series, and more specifically probably 84. My dd has an 83+, she can do all the functions but it doesn't have the oomph of the 84, if that makes sense :)

5th grade???

I didn't use any calculator in 5th grade. Neither did dc (in a school or at home). What kind of math is he doing that he would need a graphing calculator?

Unless it is mandatory (or practically mandatory), I wouldn't get it. If the whole class has to have it, and the teacher assigns problems based on it, you don't really have a choice.

Have you talked to other parents in the class? It would help to know everyone else will have one or only a few.

My kids aren't allowed to use calculators until algebra 1 -- no matter what! So I wouldn't buy ANY child a calculator in 5th grade!

Our kids (not brilliant in math but definitely strong) are both mathematically inclined and went through calculus 2 in high school, but we didn't buy them graphing calculators until the summer before their junior year -- basically in time for the PSAT.

Graphing calculators aren't that hard to master -- a kid doesn't need years of practice! A few weeks of varied use should get any kid comfortable with a new calculator.

I seriously question whether a fifth grader actually needs a calculator at all! :)

Edited by Gwen in VA

I wouldn't, and I would also express my displeasure to the teacher, the principal, the curriculum director, the superintendent, and the school board about the use of calculators in elementary school.

In fact, I did all those things, and then I took my kids out of school.