Menu

Mormon wedding question

bettyandbob

Ds 21 has been invited to a reception for a high school classmate. Are there traditions/ typical gifts he should consider giving. Should he ask about a registry? What is the general expectation. I don't know the family at all. If this were a DC of a friend of ours we'd probably get something about $100. However, I'm not attending i'm just advising.

No traditions or specific gifts. Any gift or gift card would likely be appreciated. Our weddings are at temples and only current adult members may attend, but the receptions are for anyone and tend to be pretty family-friendly. No drinking, probably some light refreshments. I would dress in nicish (dress slacks and button up shirt). We usually do the cake, throw the bouquet, standard American traditions.

No traditions or specific gifts. Any gift or gift card would likely be appreciated. Our weddings are at temples and only current adult members may attend, but the receptions are for anyone and tend to be pretty family-friendly. No drinking, probably some light refreshments. I would dress in nicish (dress slacks and button up shirt). We usually do the cake, throw the bouquet, standard American traditions.

generally, the wedding itself is only family members and close friends (however the bride and groom choose to define those terms)  who have already been through the temple. 

the receptions are a larger group, usually held in the "cultural hall" (re: gym) at church (sometimes someone's backyard) - but I've also attended them at 'wedding' venues - or private clubs. live music,  recording, or nothing; structured program or more informal. family friendly, usually have food (ranges from finger food to hot buffet meal), I usually wear a skirt.  some women wear slacks, some wear dresses.  the family will usually be dressed up.

traditions will vary according to geographic area and if you're in a major city or more rural, and the socioeconomics of the families.  just as they would in wider society.

eta: dsil had nerf guns on their wish list . . . they proved very popular. (he'd owned a condo in a different city, and had been living on his own for awhile. dd was a starving grad student.)

Edited by gardenmom5