Menu

Preparing Math LD son for graduation in a few years (need math ideas)

Hi, everyone!  

I have a 17 year old son (sophomore) who attends public school part-time and is homeschooled in his core classes.  

He has a learning disability in math (diagnosed by professionals when he was 12).  What this really means is that he doesn't learn at the same speed as everyone else.  He is a turtle.

Currently he is at a 5th/6th grade level in math.  He is hoping to go into the military when he graduates, thus our avoidance of public school core classes (if he takes any special ed classes at school this would exclude him from the military).  

I am trying to put together a 2 year plan for him that will prepare him for the ACT and military tests.  I have seen Learning Math Fast as an option for hitting essential math skills, but am hoping to get more wisdom and ideas here.

Anyone ever deal with a similar situation with an LD child?  I so covet your advice.

Blessings,

Camy

I'm not familiar with the test you mention and my 2e child has a different profile than yours so this might not be quite right but ....

I would consider how he learns. If video and fast feedback would help him, think maybe about something like Teaching Textbooks because the video lessons explain the concept , then you practice it, and then you do the exercises and get immediate feedback if you're right or not. You can also just get the instructor to show you how to do each problem. It circles back through topics frequently so we found it did a good job of cementing the skills.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Like Hornblower says, what is key here is finding the method that best helps your DS learn.

Key here is to NOT RUSH through the very critical foundational math -- math up through grade 5/6 and Pre-Algebra. Not only is virtually all of real-life math based on the math learned in these grades, but all of the higher maths (high school maths) require being very solid with these foundational maths -- the 4 basic operations, fractions, decimals, percents, and integers (positive and negative numbers).

If 5th/6th grade math is where you DS is, then that is just his working speed. If DS continues at this similar pace, and if you work year-round on math, then I think you could very reasonably get through 5th and 6th grade math, Pre-Algebra, Algebra, and some, if not all, of Geometry. That will mean doing Geometry concurrently with Algebra in 12th grade. I would pick a Geometry that focuses on the 3-D aspects of Geometry (perimeter, area, circumference, volume, surface area, triangles/polygons, and angles/lines), and skip most of the proof-based Geometry. 

DS will need to get at least through Algebra 1 with some Geometry in order to score well on the Math section of the ASVAB.

Not familiar with Learn Math Fast -- I went and looked at the samples. Hmmm… I think if you already KNEW this information, this could work as a quick review program, but I don't think I'd rely on this to TEACH first exposure. They seem to leave out some pretty important things in the basic explanations, although perhaps those things show up in later lessons...

JMO, but you might get the best results by investing in a great local tutor who specializes in helping students with LDs and who specializes in Math. Specialized, one-on-one help 2-3x/week with a tutor would probably yield the fastest results and targeted exactly where DS needs the most help, while letting him move forward quickly through parts he "gets" more quickly.

If DS learns best with online/video tutorials, you might look at Aleks, which has middle school math up through the high school maths, and you progress at your own pace.

A side thought here: you might continue the core coursework at home, and starting in 11th grade, have take 1 class per semester as dual enrollment at the local community college, towards a Vocational-Tech / Trade certificate/degree of interest to DS, OR, towards helping DS towards earning the 15 college credits (or more) that boosts military applicants into the Tier 1 category. Having training in, or a completed certificate or an Associate's degree, in a Vo-Tech area not only would make DS more attractive as a military applicant, but would be a great "fall-back" job if he ends up not being accepted by the military or is injured out of basic training, or other issue that interrupts a military career.

Just encouraging you and DS to NOT place all his hopes on getting into the military -- they are MUCH more selective these days and it is MUCH more difficult to get in. To stand the best chance, DS will need to score a minimum of 50 on the ASVAB in order to make Tier 1, which is the level that gives him the best shot at enlistment.  Far fewer Tier 2 and no Tier 3 applicants are accepted:

Air Force -- less than 1% of Tier 2 accepted; must have a minimum score of 50 on the AFQT

Army -- up to 10% of Tier 2 accepted; must have a minimum score of 50 on the AFQT

Navy -- up to 10% of Tier 2 accepted; must have a minimum score of 50 on the AFQT

Marine -- up to 5% of Tier 2 accepted; must have a minimum score of 50 on the AFQT

Coast Guard -- 0% of Tier 2 accepted UNLESS has prior other military service and minimum score of 65 on the AFQT

Tier 3 only accepted once the applicant takes a minimum of 15 college credits with minimum GPA, which converts the applicant to Tier 1. To get you started preparing for the ASVAB, ere are ASVAB sample questions and ASVAB practice test.

Here is a break-down of occupations military personnel perform. Interestingly, vehicle and machinery maintenance beats out actual combat personnel as the job most military personnel are engaged in. Other occupations that are at the top of the list in frequency: engineering/science/technical; transportation and material handling; and electronic and electrical equipment repair.

Knowing that those might be the jobs he would most likely perform in the military,  DS might also find success and career enjoyment by branching out to include other possible occupations that perform similar jobs as the military counterpart:

- Mechanic -- aircraft or auto (training and certification or Associate's degree at a Community College or Vocational-Tech or Trade school)

- Welding, Plumbing, Electrician, HVAC (Heating & AC), or other good-paying technical skill (training and certification or Associate's degree at a Community College or Vocational-Tech or Trade school)

- CAD (Computer Aided Drafting) and Electronics certificate or Associate's degree

- Police, Fire, Border Patrol, or Emergency Service responder

- Trucking, shipping, and transportation

- Forestry/Conservation work

- Construction site big truck or crane operation/certification

- Civilian jobs in direct support of military

Just some big picture thoughts as you also work to get through the high school Math. :) BEST of luck as your DS completes the next 2 years of high school, and in finding the occupation he would love! :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 3

I'm not familiar with the test you mention and my 2e child has a different profile than yours so this might not be quite right but ....

I would consider how he learns. If video and fast feedback would help him, think maybe about something like Teaching Textbooks because the video lessons explain the concept , then you practice it, and then you do the exercises and get immediate feedback if you're right or not. You can also just get the instructor to show you how to do each problem. It circles back through topics frequently so we found it did a good job of cementing the skills.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was wondering about Teaching Textbooks Pre-Algebra.  I really want to get him going right away.  He seems to be understanding things more quickly, almost at an exponential level, which really encourages me that he will be able to catch up.  Thank you!

• Like 2

Like Hornblower says, what is key here is finding the method that best helps your DS learn.

Key here is to NOT RUSH through the very critical foundational math -- math up through grade 5/6 and Pre-Algebra. Not only is virtually all of real-life math based on the math learned in these grades, but all of the higher maths (high school maths) require being very solid with these foundational maths -- the 4 basic operations, fractions, decimals, percents, and integers (positive and negative numbers).

If 5th/6th grade math is where you DS is, then that is just his working speed. If DS continues at this similar pace, and if you work year-round on math, then I think you could very reasonably get through 5th and 6th grade math, Pre-Algebra, Algebra, and some, if not all, of Geometry. That will mean doing Geometry concurrently with Algebra in 12th grade. I would pick a Geometry that focuses on the 3-D aspects of Geometry (perimeter, area, circumference, volume, surface area, triangles/polygons, and angles/lines), and skip most of the proof-based Geometry. 

DS will need to get at least through Algebra 1 with some Geometry in order to score well on the Math section of the ASVAB.

Not familiar with Learn Math Fast -- I went and looked at the samples. Hmmm… I think if you already KNEW this information, this could work as a quick review program, but I don't think I'd rely on this to TEACH first exposure. They seem to leave out some pretty important things in the basic explanations, although perhaps those things show up in later lessons...

JMO, but you might get the best results by investing in a great local tutor who specializes in helping students with LDs and who specializes in Math. Specialized, one-on-one help 2-3x/week with a tutor would probably yield the fastest results and targeted exactly where DS needs the most help, while letting him move forward quickly through parts he "gets" more quickly.

If DS learns best with online/video tutorials, you might look at Aleks, which has middle school math up through the high school maths, and you progress at your own pace.

A side thought here: you might continue the core coursework at home, and starting in 11th grade, have take 1 class per semester as dual enrollment at the local community college, towards a Vocational-Tech / Trade certificate/degree of interest to DS, OR, towards helping DS towards earning the 15 college credits (or more) that boosts military applicants into the Tier 1 category. Having training in, or a completed certificate or an Associate's degree, in a Vo-Tech area not only would make DS more attractive as a military applicant, but would be a great "fall-back" job if he ends up not being accepted by the military or is injured out of basic training, or other issue that interrupts a military career.

Just encouraging you and DS to NOT place all his hopes on getting into the military -- they are MUCH more selective these days and it is MUCH more difficult to get in. To stand the best chance, DS will need to score a minimum of 50 on the ASVAB in order to make Tier 1, which is the level that gives him the best shot at enlistment.  Far fewer Tier 2 and no Tier 3 applicants are accepted:

Air Force -- less than 1% of Tier 2 accepted; must have a minimum score of 50 on the AFQT

Army -- up to 10% of Tier 2 accepted; must have a minimum score of 50 on the AFQT

Navy -- up to 10% of Tier 2 accepted; must have a minimum score of 50 on the AFQT

Marine -- up to 5% of Tier 2 accepted; must have a minimum score of 50 on the AFQT

Coast Guard -- 0% of Tier 2 accepted UNLESS has prior other military service and minimum score of 65 on the AFQT

Tier 3 only accepted once the applicant takes a minimum of 15 college credits with minimum GPA, which converts the applicant to Tier 1. To get you started preparing for the ASVAB, ere are ASVAB sample questions and ASVAB practice test.

Here is a break-down of occupations military personnel perform. Interestingly, vehicle and machinery maintenance beats out actual combat personnel as the job most military personnel are engaged in. Other occupations that are at the top of the list in frequency: engineering/science/technical; transportation and material handling; and electronic and electrical equipment repair.

Knowing that those might be the jobs he would most likely perform in the military,  DS might also find success and career enjoyment by branching out to include other possible occupations that perform similar jobs as the military counterpart:

- Mechanic -- aircraft or auto (training and certification or Associate's degree at a Community College or Vocational-Tech or Trade school)

- Welding, Plumbing, Electrician, HVAC (Heating & AC), or other good-paying technical skill (training and certification or Associate's degree at a Community College or Vocational-Tech or Trade school)

- CAD (Computer Aided Drafting) and Electronics certificate or Associate's degree

- Police, Fire, Border Patrol, or Emergency Service responder

- Trucking, shipping, and transportation

- Forestry/Conservation work

- Construction site big truck or crane operation/certification

- Civilian jobs in direct support of military

Just some big picture thoughts as you also work to get through the high school Math. :) BEST of luck as your DS completes the next 2 years of high school, and in finding the occupation he would love! :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

Thank you so much for this!  It is very helpful.  Yes, we are on target to get him into a 2-year vocational training school next year, which I believe will tremendously help him to learn so much and give him some vital skill training.  It will be a good setting for him.  

Our identical twins went into the Air Force last year, and we did see that the military is stepping up their scrutiny of possible candidates.  I appreciate the links you enclosed for the ASVAB.  

Thanks also for your input regarding Learn Math Fast.  I don't want to purchase something and realize it is not what he needs.  

Blessings!

• Like 1

Camy, I just read your sigline & realized you're "boybarians Camy"! Hi! 

One other thing I'd throw out there is that in our experience, some delays & challenges early on were very much alleviated by late teens. I firmly believe that with some LD's, solid foundational work & lots of encouragement & time to mature without the stigma of being 'behind' that one faces in the ps system, can give the student time to learn compensatory skills which often propel them quickly to a point which is on level or close to, or even beyond.  

So I'm hopeful for you, especially when you say that he's learning and retaining more quickly now.  I did find that learning here was not linear at all. I hope that encourages you :) 

• Like 2

Thank you so much for this!  It is very helpful.  Yes, we are on target to get him into a 2-year vocational training school next year, which I believe will tremendously help him to learn so much and give him some vital skill training.  It will be a good setting for him.  

Our identical twins went into the Air Force last year, and we did see that the military is stepping up their scrutiny of possible candidates.  I appreciate the links you enclosed for the ASVAB.  

Thanks also for your input regarding Learn Math Fast.  I don't want to purchase something and realize it is not what he needs.  

Oh goodness, so you know MUCH more about military enlistment than I do! :)

And re: Learn Math Fast -- don't let me sway you; I'm only basing my thought on the very limited sample pages; if you think that the explanations would really click for your DS, then go with it, and use that as initial exposure, and use supplemental material to fill in with more detail. With our own DS#2 with mild LDs in Math (and Writing and Spelling), it really is all about finding what clicks best for that initial explanation. That was MUS for our DS, but it may be something else for your your DS! :)

Also agreeing with Hornblower's second post about often learning challenges begin to alleviate in the late teens (and I'll add, even into the 20s) -- that was the case with our DS#2 and Writing, which he finally started to clear some of his hurdles about the time he turned 20. A dear friend has a son who deals with high-functioning Aspberger's and he never really did beyond Algebra 1/Geometry in high school. He graduated, worked for about 4 years, and finally decided he had a goal for going to college, and had to take some Math classes (at age 23) -- and really GOT it, loved it, and was tutoring others!

• Like 2

Camy, I just read your sigline & realized you're "boybarians Camy"! Hi! 

One other thing I'd throw out there is that in our experience, some delays & challenges early on were very much alleviated by late teens. I firmly believe that with some LD's, solid foundational work & lots of encouragement & time to mature without the stigma of being 'behind' that one faces in the ps system, can give the student time to learn compensatory skills which often propel them quickly to a point which is on level or close to, or even beyond.  

So I'm hopeful for you, especially when you say that he's learning and retaining more quickly now.  I did find that learning here was not linear at all. I hope that encourages you :) 

Hornblower....I recognized you, too!  HI!!!  Crazy that we are still here after all of these years..grin.  I am homeschooling 4 boybarians and 1 girlilla now.  My 2 eldest are in the Air Force and loving it (one is married).

Homeschooling has been such a blessing to my LD boy.  I had him evaluated at a local private school, and after showing them his schoolwork, they were shocked.  They had never seen a child who excelled so much in reading, language arts, and science, yet had a math LD.  I knew he had this problem from day 1 of his home education.  We just plodded along slowly at his pace, doing very concrete work.  I am so glad we did things that way!  

For his language arts, we used the McGuffey Readers along with SWB's writing recs (narration, copywork, dictation). The school that evaluated this were very impressed.  I felt so competent..haha

He now realizes his LD and often asks me questions about it.  I told him that it is just the way God made him and that it is fine to march by the beat of your own drum.  It is math and written expression that challenge him.  He is getting there.  I am really proud of him.  He is a very hard worker, which will really help.

Thank you for your encouraging words!  Nice to see you :o)

• Like 3