Menu

How does this look for 9th & 11th grade DSs?

It's spring and planning season is on! :hurray:

From my signature it looks like I have a lot of hs'ing experience, but I really don't. This is only the end of our 3rd year. So I still need some reassurance that I'm doing this right. :)

Please be gentle, but let me know what you think ... too much, not enough, just right?

11th grade - this is my logical and sciencey kid who is into computers

.5 credit US Gov - A Noble Experiment and a few Critical Thinking in USH lessons - along with 9th grade DS

.5 credit Economics - TC Economics - along with 9th grade DS

1 credit Precalc - Chalkdust

1 credit Physics - Apologia

1 credit Spanish III - finish up Destinos videos, text, and workbooks

1 credit AP English Lang & Comp - homemade using a reading list of classics, Cliff's prep book, and IEW prep book

1 credit elective - TBD - possibly robotics or 3D modeling or another programming language of some kind

9th grade - this is my creative kid who dislikes organization of any kind

.5 credit US Gov - A Noble experiment and a few Critical Thinking in USH lessons - along with 11th grade DS

.5 credit Economics - TC Economics - along with 11th grade DS

1 credit Biology - Apologia

1 credit English I - hopefully finish up Wordsmith Craftsman - right now he's kind of struggling with Craftsman, so maybe substitute The Elegant Essay instead? - also Literary Lessons from the Lord of the Rings including all the extra unit studies - Vocab from Classical Roots - Fix It Grammar

1 credit Algebra II - finish up Video Text Algebra - maybe do some Bridge Math at the end of the year to make sure he's ready for the math in Chemistry the following year?

1 credit Spanish I - Visual Link Spanish

.5 credit Intro to Logic and Rhetoric - Art of Argument and Argument Builder

.5 credit elective - TBD - possibly marketing?

Have you considered combining for science? If your 9th grader is doing Algebra II, he could do physics too. And pairing up for learning and labs could save time for you and make it more engaging for them.

I thought they had to be at least in precalc for physics? He's not had geometry or trig yet, just going straight from Algebra I to Algebra II. If he could swing the math, that would be a real boost to have them do it together!

I thought they had to be at least in precalc for physics? He's not had geometry or trig yet, just going straight from Algebra I to Algebra II. If he could swing the math, that would be a real boost to have them do it together!

Check with your physics program. Most of what you need is algebra 1 skills. A little trig but only the very basics. But programs differ, so check with the one you want to use.

• Like 1

You've described the two boys as sciencey and creative, and yet their courses look identical. Nothing wrong with it, though I don't see where the creative boy gets to pursue any special creative subjects. I guess the term 'creative' doesn't have to mean interest in a fine art on hands-on, but I see no fine arts or similar anywhere for either student. It's very heavy academic, and absolutely no physical activity in the mix. I'd look at ways to bring in a bit of balance to the program.

I'm just throwing this idea out there because I'm doing it:  Yes, Government is only a half credit course.  However, and particularly for the 9th grader, it might be nice to spread it out time-wise for the whole year.  That gives some flexibility and easiness to take it slow.  Then do a similar thing with Economics the following year.  Still award just .5 credit for each, but take a whole school year to get through the material.  

YMMV

And since your 9th grader is not super sciencey, but it would be nice to combine the kids at least for labs, maybe he could do a Physical Science course or Conceptual Physics course or Integrated Chem/Science (I am thinking either Apologia Physical Science, Hewitt Conceptual Physics, or Pacworks Integrated Physics and Chemistry).  

That way your 9th grader wouldn't feel the need to "keep up" with the 11th grader, but you could still combine them for labs.

You've described the two boys as sciencey and creative, and yet their courses look identical. Nothing wrong with it, though I don't see where the creative boy gets to pursue any special creative subjects. I guess the term 'creative' doesn't have to mean interest in a fine art on hands-on, but I see no fine arts or similar anywhere for either student. It's very heavy academic, and absolutely no physical activity in the mix. I'd look at ways to bring in a bit of balance to the program.

Sorry, I was just listing academic subjects. :) They both do a PE class at a local private school once a week and exercise quite a bit on their own (running, trampoline, etc.) They both also take piano and guitar. And creative DS does drama as an extracurricular (just got done with A Midsummer Night's Dream!).

He had originally wanted Filmmaking (his current free-time passion) from Landry Academy as his elective, but the course was full for this year. So the possible Marketing elective was his 2nd choice. He knows several men who use their creative juices to produce marketing videos and he thought that would maybe fit in to his interests somewhere.

Thanks for the input and the encouragement to make sure he's well rounded! :)

ETA: LLftLOTR is also part of his individuality. Older DS would never go for that, but creative DS has been writing his own version of the histories behind The Hobbit/LOTR and this curriculum was his choice and right up his alley! :)

Edited by Momto5inIN
  • Like 1

And since your 9th grader is not super sciencey, but it would be nice to combine the kids at least for labs, maybe he could do a Physical Science course or Conceptual Physics course or Integrated Chem/Science (I am thinking either Apologia Physical Science, Hewitt Conceptual Physics, or Pacworks Integrated Physics and Chemistry).  

That way your 9th grader wouldn't feel the need to "keep up" with the 11th grader, but you could still combine them for labs.

He did Physical Science this year, so that's out. It's not that he doesn't do well in science, because he does, it just isn't a passion for him like it is for older DS.

I did message Dr. Wile on Facebook this morning and asked him about combining the boys for Physics and he got right back to me and recommended that it would likely be overwhelming mathematically for 2nd DS. He probably could technically do it, but Dr. Wile doesn't recommend it. So I think I'll keep him with biology.

On a side note, I puffy heart Dr. Wile! :001_wub:

Sorry, I was just listing academic subjects. :) They both do a PE class at a local private school once a week and exercise quite a bit on their own (running, trampoline, etc.) They both also take piano and guitar. And creative DS does drama as an extracurricular (just got done with A Midsummer Night's Dream!).

He had originally wanted Filmmaking (his current free-time passion) from Landry Academy as his elective, but the course was full for this year. So the possible Marketing elective was his 2nd choice. He knows several men who use their creative juices to produce marketing videos and he thought that would maybe fit in to his interests somewhere.

Thanks for the input and the encouragement to make sure he's well rounded! :)

ETA: LLftLOTR is also part of his individuality. Older DS would never go for that, but creative DS has been writing his own version of the histories behind The Hobbit/LOTR and this curriculum was his choice and right up his alley! :)

I don't know why people do that - it's like a huge side of the picture is lost. I love the variety and flavour of all the "extracurriculars" and couldn't imagine listing courses without them. Your boys sound like they have a wonderful program up ahead! Enjoy yourselves. 

• Like 1

I don't know why people do that - it's like a huge side of the picture is lost. I love the variety and flavour of all the "extracurriculars" and couldn't imagine listing courses without them. Your boys sound like they have a wonderful program up ahead! Enjoy yourselves. 

Hmmmm ... you're right, it does kind of lose the "big picture" that way, doesn't it? I never really thought of it that way.

I think because we were in public school up til 3 years ago, I just think of those extracurriculars and activities and lessons and whatnot as extra stuff we do for them/with them as part of our parenting and not just as part of "school".  So I guess it's still a leftover from our public school mindset. I wonder how long it will take me to lose it? :)

Hmmmm ... you're right, it does kind of lose the "big picture" that way, doesn't it? I never really thought of it that way.

I think because we were in public school up til 3 years ago, I just think of those extracurriculars and activities and lessons and whatnot as extra stuff we do for them/with them as part of our parenting and not just as part of "school".  So I guess it's still a leftover from our public school mindset. I wonder how long it will take me to lose it? :)

I like to include them because I think they're really important (as do many colleges and universities), and because not everyone does them. You can't assume that a student does anything outside of academics as many don't.  I've heard several accounts of university admissions into highly sought-after programs looking at the extracurricular experience of students and choosing the ones who do have music, sports, theatre, leadership, etc., over those with only academic experience. It's certainly not just a homeschool thing.

• Like 1

...I think because we were in public school up til 3 years ago, I just think of those extracurriculars and activities and lessons and whatnot as extra stuff we do for them/with them as part of our parenting and not just as part of "school".  So I guess it's still a leftover from our public school mindset. I wonder how long it will take me to lose it? :)

Not at all! I think just about all homeschooling parents of high schoolers tend to hyper-focus on the credits / record keeping / transcripts to make sure we're jumping all the hoops for college admissions and scholarships, and trying to plan for coursework and curriculum. All of those extracurriculars, volunteering, and other activities are "just part of our daily routine". ;)  :laugh:

• Like 1