Menu

Professional dog people

Carrie12345

I'm trying to help someone figure out what options they have to get out of an unstable family situation with minimal liability.  There are a ridiculous number of animals in the house, which authorities are aware of.  Those animals were fraudulently registered in this person's name.  The other family members refuse to re-home them.  This person wants to leave the home and doesn't have the ability or desire to take any of the animals, 

Does anyone know how much legal risk this person should be worried about if those animals should ever be seized, abandoned, or otherwise left in the lurch?

Google up the animal laws in your state and county and city/town. In many places, it is just a matter of days after leaving that the pet is considered "abandoned" and then you can re-home or euthanize them. 

Also, if the person is living in the home, and the pets are left there in your presumed care, and you neglect them, then you could be liable for neglect/abuse charges -- felonies in some locations. So, essentially, as long as you are involved in any way, I'd make sure the animals are cared for.  

In some places, caring for and feeding a pet for as few as 3 days makes someone the legal owner of a pet. 

She could call the sheriff or animal control and report the excess number of pets. If she declares that s/he was fraudulently identified as the pets' owners, then she should tell them that, in writing, and let the authorities know that the pets are not actually hers, and that they are in danger, neglected, or whatever else is true, and ask for their help.

If the person is the registered legal owner of the animals, and s/he wants to humanely re-home or otherwise dispose of them, I'd encourage her to keep copies of the the registration papers or other proof of ownership. Then s/he can contact rescue organizations and/or shelters to try to re-home the pets. Or, she can surrender to a shelter. Or, she can ask her veterinarian to euthanize (which would be readily available if the pet has significant medical or behavioral problems . . . but not all vets will do it for simple "convenience" on a healthy pet.

At the end of the day, I'd just encourage your friend to make herself and her children safe and well. Once she is out and safe somewhere, she can always call and report to the authorities. 

IMHO, it is incredibly unlikely she'd have any legal exposure. Just keep all pertinent records. Ideally, also write that letter to the authorities notifying them.

As in -- addressed to both the local law enforcement and any animal control:

"Please be aware that even though I was (without my consent or knowledge) made the registered owner of the 5 dogs (breed/color/names listed here) and 8 cats (breed/color/names listed here) residing at 15 First Street, Jonestown, I have never been the actual owner of these animals. For my own safety/security/wellbeing, I have moved out of that address, and I want to alert you that the remaining adults in the residence (names optional here) were not willing to re-home the pets, which, in truth, belonged to them, so I have left them there. Conditions are not good. Some of the pets need medical care. They aren't well fed or cared for. I request that you follow up to ensure their wellbeing. 

Thank you,

Sally Jones

• Like 1

"Please be aware that even though I was (without my consent or knowledge) made the registered owner of the 5 dogs (breed/color/names listed here) and 8 cats (breed/color/names listed here) residing at 15 First Street, Jonestown, I have never been the actual owner of these animals. For my own safety/security/wellbeing, I have moved out of that address, and I want to alert you that the remaining adults in the residence (names optional here) were not willing to re-home the pets, which, in truth, belonged to them, so I have left them there. Conditions are not good. Some of the pets need medical care. They aren't well fed or cared for. I request that you follow up to ensure their wellbeing. 

Thank you,

Sally Jones

This sounds like a very good route. Thanks!

• Like 1

If they are in that person's name, I don't know why they can't just take them to a shelter.  Or sell them. 

Like I said, this is a very unstable situation.  What may seem logical or rational isn't really feasible.  If logic and reason were players here, there wouldn't be an issue to deal with.  :(