Menu

Derek Owens Pre-Algebra to...?

Ds is currently in 7th grade doing Derek Owens Pre-Algebra. He will be homeschooled for the 8th grade, but I'm not sure I want to stay with Derek Owens for Algebra because the word problems are not that challenging and this child will be going to high school. His older brother transitioned to high school this past school year, and has stated that ds would need to be strong in figuring out word problems.

So my thought was either Math In Focus grade 8 or AoPS Pre-Algebra. AoPS Pre-Algebra looks significantly stronger than Derek Owens, so that is my thinking with him repeating Pre-Algebra.

Also, the school he will be attending will not accept any homeschool classes, so ds will need to start in Algebra as a freshman.

Thoughts on these two options. Is there another option I'm missing?

I'm usually finished with my planning at this point. I hate not having it all figured out by now. :thumbdown:

My daughter just transitioned from DO prealgebra to AoPS prealgebra. AoPS definately will be more of a challenge for her.

IF you want to move on to algebra, I'd ask the school you are interested in for high school if he can test out of algebra. They may not accept homeschool classes for the transcript, but many schools will allow you to place out of algebra - though still requiring you to take 4 years of high school math IN high school.