Menu

Last year of high school math~dual enroll at junior college

Daughter wants to get first year of gen ed math done at local junior college while in her last year of h.s. and have it transfer to four year institution.

She's not sure which college, and has to give a general plan to the h.s. counselor.

She's considering Probability and Statistics or College Algebra. She doesn't like math.

Any suggestions?

(I know you have no idea if it will receive dual credit or not.)

Thanks.

Seems Stats is a required course for nearly every major. Sometimes it is the only required math course.

From what I have seen college algebra is not generally required. It is there is someone needs review before calculus. I would take stats if I really hoped for the class to count toward a 4 year degree. I would take college algebra if I needed more algebra depth / practice for ACT or in preparation for higher math. Depends on your goals.

Just my opinion! My kids are not STEM. One is looking at business which will require calculus and stats. The other is looking at a liberal arts degree that requires stats as the only math. So both would need stats and not college algebra.

If my child needed more algebra practice I would put them in college algebra for that reason but not with the intent of the course counting toward a degree.

• Like 2

You can check with the various colleges that she is considering and find out which math courses will transfer and also which will cover her gen ed requirements.  It's possible that the local junior college will have that information too.

My daughter did DE math this year by taking Finite. In our state there are certain core courses that absolutely will transfer to participating colleges within the state - it's called the Transfer Indiana initiative.  There is an online site where you can see how a course at one college will transfer (or not) to another participating college. It's really nice because it takes out the guess work. Maybe your state has something like this.

• Like 1

If my child needed more algebra practice I would put them in college algebra for that reason but not with the intent of the course counting toward a degree.

College Algebra in my area is considered Algebra 3. It serves as a gen ed degree requirement. That plus Stats were all the math my humanities dd needed, and she got both out of the way with DE.

• Like 1

Here College Algebra is Algebra 3.  Along with Trig, it is essentially Pre-Calc.  Here, College Algebra or Stats is required (or a number of other maths) for a GenEd requirement.  However, if she isn't going into a STEM field and isn't good at math, she will probably find this challenging.  What did she use for Algebra 2 and how did she handle it?  Time spent to completion?

• Like 1