Menu

Skip SSL 1 and go straight to SSL 2?

classicmommy

I've done both, and you'd be fine starting with SSL 2. It does review the phrases and vocab taught in SSL 1 but those parts can simply be skipped if you choose.

SSL 2 is more appropriate for a 7.5 y.o. because it starts to get into the grammar whereas SSL 1 is better for preschool/K age since it's purely vocab & phrases.

• Like 1

You could jump into level 2. I actually did both books in 1 year. We did 1 per semester. I used it with my 4th grader because we wanted a laid back approach to Latin for our first exposure. Level 2 is more challenging with the different tenses and endings. I'm actually glad I waited until my dd was older before beginning Latin. My dd didn't complain about the "cutesie" aspects of SSL. I let her decide if she was ok with a slower approach to Latin and she agreed to use this program. So, depends on the kid.

Well, SSL 1 has a lot of good vocabulary. We are doing both books in one year with my 7 year old and 8 year old (just turned 9). If I had it to do over again, I would do the same thing. 2 lessons per week will get you through both books in about 30 weeks. So it is a very reasonable pace.

This is exactly what we are doing this year.

Next year we go to LfC but it seemed intimidating as our first Latin experience.

• Like 1

I have SSL2. It is designed to lead right into LFCA (that's on my shelf right now). The first unit of so of LFC is basically review from SSL2. My LO is going to be on the younger side heading into LFC...so my plan is to take things a lot slower and take our time and let him dictate the pace when we get there. I do quite value SSL1. I taught it to 12 kids at our co-op. They simply LOVE Latin. To me, that's gold when it comes to foreign language learning or any learning for that matter. Loving a subject is going to help when learning steps up in challenge. Plus SSL 1 is just plain fun. SSL2 steps things up though. The book for that is 3x thicker than SSL1. I won't be teaching SSL2 at co-op in the fall since my LO wanted to start it up right away. He is self-motivated about learning Latin. However, all the kids will continue on with two other moms because everyone liked it so much. I wouldn't skip it...just let her enjoy it and go as fast as she likes. Let the 5yo tag along as well.

• Like 1