Menu

Crock Pot users.

I just recently bought a crock pot along with a crock pot recipe book. I have cooked a couple of the recipes using pot roast, pork chops, and chicken. I have been following the recipes exactly. My problem is that the meats are coming out dry. My husband says it is almost like the crock pot is sucking the juices out of the meats. Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong?

Blessings

Zoraida

Actually, it isn't "fatty" meat you desire but "collagen-rich" cuts, which translates into "tough" hardworking muscles that are ordinarily quite inexpensive.

Cuts such as chuck steak and brisket have all their tough collagen break down when cooked slow and low, and become tender and delicious. It is actually counter productive to use more "tender" (and more expensive) cuts in the crock pot.

Bill

Newer crockpots cook at higher temps than older ones. I hope my 1989 wedding gift crock never breaks for that reason. Something to do with food safety and regulations, yada yada.

Don't open the crock when things are cooking. Leave it set until you're ready to serve.

I have tried a few chicken dishes that came out dry, and I just assume it was the recipe, because most of my recipes come out moist and yummy.

My favorite way to cook a roast is to put the roast in, pour about a half a pot of coffee on top, add my favorite seasonings (usually garlic powder, a bay leaf and a little salt and pepper) and let it cook all day. It's never dry, and it's yummy.

Keep trying, you'll find some good recipes. Switch them to low if you're cooking all day long.

For the same reason that you don't use lean cuts of beef/pork in the slow cooker, also don't use chicken breasts. I find chicken thighs work better in slow cookers. White meat tends to dry up.

It can be a real money saver if you go with the cheaper cuts.

I don't cook meat as long as the recipe calls for in my crockpot. It's often one before the time allotted. I use a thermometer to ensure that the temp gets up to a safe temp with chicken.

I also do a huge no-no and cook frozen meat in the crockpot. Then, I know it will take all day to cook, instead of just a few hours.

Beans do well in the crockpot. I like to soak them overnight on warm in the crockpot and then cook them all day. Actually, we've been doing a lot more vegetarian dishes with the crockpot lately. I can do beans and rice in the crockpot and add corn bread to the meal and voila! happy family.

It make take some experimenting, but the crockpot can be quite a useful took for a busy family.