Menu

CLE Middle School Math

AnnaM

I have found that a lot of middle school math is a repeat of 5th-6th grade math. Is this the case with CLE? If there is a lot of repeat I figured it would be better to just shore up where they need it and move straight into pre-algebra.

Are you using CLE currently? I ask because it follows the same format for middle school as it did for elementary: Introduce new concepts while reviewing old concepts. Since math is basically building layers of knowledge/understanding I am not entirely clear what you are asking, though, so that response may not be helpful.

You can see samples of the light units for each level on the CLE website. Have you looked there?

Also, the 700s and 800s are considered prealgebra but if you want to cover prealgebra in one year some people combine them. You can do two lessons of new material a day and only review problems from the 1st or second lesson. Skip the quizzes. Only do every other test or only the test at the end of the level. That can be done for earlier levels as well if the student has solid understanding.

If your student(s) are solid on math and pick concepts up quickly you could give the placement test to see where there might be gaps then shore up any holes before moving into the next level up. The first light unit of each level is review of previous levels so those are not a good judge of the rest of the light units but can be great for shoring up gaps (or skipping altogether if the student is solid on previous concepts).

Edited by OneStepAtATime

I'm also wanting to know about this. I've used CLE Math from 100-400 and now halfway through 500. I love the program and it allows my dds to be more independent but will the program continue being wonderful? Does it change much or significantly in the higher grades? I hope I'm not high jacking this thread, but I believe that the OP and I are after the same answer.

DD14 is in 807 now. We switched to CLE when she was in fifth grade (she started in the 400 level). She is constantly learning new things and also constantly reviewing. We haven't found the upper levels to be any different in that way than the lower ones.

If you look carefully at the scope and sequence on their website, you should be able to get a good idea about what is covered in the middle school levels.

We haven't found their math to be just treading water and reviewing -- it is constantly building on skills all the way through.

Math does not come easily to DD14, so CLE has been excellent for her. Someone who does not need as much review or who would like to move more quickly through concepts might prefer a program that moves faster. If you want constant, steady progress with built-in review, CLE may be a good choice.

Just keep in mind that if you use it on grade level, you will not reach algebra until ninth grade (unless you accelerate the pace). That hasn't been a problem for us, because ninth is a good time for DD14 to take algebra, but some people want to aim for algebra in eighth grade.

• 3 weeks later...

I am just now getting around to responding to this :/

We work year round so we will probably be ahead of the normal pace. That makes me feel better knowing Algebra doesn't start until 9th grade. I have a child who will probably end up taking advanced maths so she needs to be head of the game. I think I will do as suggested and have them take placement tests after we finish with our current level so I can shore up gaps and see where they would be most appropriately placed.