Menu

St. Mary's City, Maryland

Amira

If you've visited or live near here, can you tell me a little about it?  Is it worth a two-hour drive, especially during the off-season? I've been interested in going for a while but I'm trying to decide if it's worth the time it'll take to get there.

I'd say no.  I grew up about an hour away from there and for the first few years we were married we were about 20 minutes away and then an hour away again until 3 years ago.  There's not a whole lot to see so unless you were also going to Point Lookout and maybe the Calvert Marine Museum, it's not really worth a 2 hour drive (the marine museum is pretty awesome!).  The best times we've ever had at St. Mary's City was homeschool days when they had a lot going on/hands-on activities.

• Like 1

Aww, such a spot in my heart for southern MD. DD is in college there. (Seriously makes me wish *I* could be the college student and live on that breathtaking campus!) we also have a vacation cottage in Solomon's Island, and there is extensive family history there.

With that said, I don't know that it would be too compelling to someone who isn't necessarily connected to the area already.

• Like 1

Aww, such a spot in my heart for southern MD. DD is in college there. (Seriously makes me wish *I* could be the college student and live on that breathtaking campus!) we also have a vacation cottage in Solomon's Island, and there is extensive family history there.

At times, the breathtaking campus is rather distracting to college students.... the little beach being a major distraction at times. Your dd is fortunate to be on a beautiful campus, at a great school! So many memories when I think about it......

• Like 1

At times, the breathtaking campus is rather distracting to college students.... the little beach being a major distraction at times. Your dd is fortunate to be on a beautiful campus, at a great school! So many memories when I think about it......

It's true. We have had some beautiful weather here yesterday and today. DD sent me a photo of the sun going down over the river; she was doing homework out at the dock.

It's true. We have had some beautiful weather here yesterday and today. DD sent me a photo of the sun going down over the river; she was doing homework out at the dock.

Has your daughter mentioned if they still throw people in the pond on their birthdays?

Has your daughter mentioned if they still throw people in the pond on their birthdays?

She hasn't said, but the young lady tour guide did say that "ponding" was a distinct possibility.

• Like 1