Menu

Gearing History toward the AP Latin Exam

Has anyone done this or have any idea of good resources to recommend?  My dd is going to be doing a lighter history year next year.  She enjoys ancient history and she really likes Latin.  She will probably take the AP Latin exam the year after next and one thing I've noticed is that even though we've used 2 different providers, I don't think either has really given her the history knowledge she should have for that time period.  She just picks up pieces in dribs and drabs, but it's never tackled in any type of organized manner.  I was thinking of killing two birds with one stone and having her focus on the history she will need for the Latin exam since she is interested in that and she doesn't have time for a full blown program next year.

Has anyone done this or have any idea of good resources to recommend?  My dd is going to be doing a lighter history year next year.  She enjoys ancient history and she really likes Latin.  She will probably take the AP Latin exam the year after next and one thing I've noticed is that even though we've used 2 different providers, I don't think either has really given her the history knowledge she should have for that time period.  She just picks up pieces in dribs and drabs, but it's never tackled in any type of organized manner.  I was thinking of killing two birds with one stone and having her focus on the history she will need for the Latin exam since she is interested in that and she doesn't have time for a full blown program next year.

My son would love this. I hope someone responds.

• Like 1

having her focus on the history she will need for the Latin exam 

The AP Latin exam is focused on understanding and translating two works of Latin literature.  There is almost zero history on the exam.

• Like 1

The AP Latin exam is focused on understanding and translating two works of Latin literature.  There is almost zero history on the exam.

Thank you. I didn't realize this.  Since there are some history exams each year on the NLEs, I thought there would be more of that on the AP exam.  

Yes, other than maybe an understanding of the historical background of a passage, no history. 

No geography or mythology other than what is in a passage.

• Like 1

The NLE, AP, and SAT II are very different tests.

Of the three, the AP was by far the hardest for my oldest, although he did very well. It involves quick translation and understanding of passages, plus difficult short answer questions.

The other two are multiple-choice with shorter passages.

• Like 2

The NLE, AP, and SAT II are very different tests.

Of the three, the AP was by far the hardest for my oldest, although he did very well. It involves quick translation and understanding of passages, plus difficult short answer questions.

The other two are multiple-choice with shorter passages.

So, if she wants to take the SAT subject test, will she need additional history knowledge for that?  Thanks.