Menu

Grad school and homeschooling

juliebee

I have been accepted into grad school and was wondering if anyone else has done grad school full-time and homeschooled a kindergartener while working part-time? I have a good support system but am worried about the amount of time each will take. I know my workload will be heavy and hers will be light (we are going to concentrate on reading and math with science and history thrown in on occasion.) I will be working 1-2 days a week (12 hr shifts.) Can this be done?

I'm an undergraduate in school full time, but I started when my son was in high school. Are you going to be doing classes online or in person? What other expectations/ responsibilities fall to you? Household stuff, cooking, shopping etc? 

I know even as an undergrad with a self-sufficient child, I've had to let go of having an always clean house and scheduled down time. I'm also a single parent, so there was no way to pick up the slack, but no one to have expectations of dinner always on the table at 5 either. 

The program I am in is a hybrid program. Mainly online but have to go to campus a couple of times a semester for 2-3 days at a time. The campus is about 2 hours from my home so these will be overnight trips. I am trying to come up with a rough schedule for laundry and cleaning. I know that the house is not going to be immaculate but I am hoping for presentable. I will have some help but not as much as I would like.

A friend of mine is in law school. Her husband works full time from home.

They homeschool their three kids. The youngest is 8 and all three are in Calvert online, so that the parents are only minimally involved. They homeschooled a different way in the past but decided online school was the way to go when they were both busy full time. The dad starts work at 6 am so that he can get in a good 4 hours before the kids start at 10. The mom is completely hands off now - law school is too demanding for homeschooling and her grades are basically the sole determiner of whether she gets a job afterwards. If she sacrifices grades to homeschool, law school will end up being a waste of time and money.

Emily

Dh did a grad school program like that while working full time. I think programs like that are designed for people who are employed, so it should leave you with time for homeschooling K and a part-time job. However, you may need help picking up the slack on the household, cooking and cleaning may be beyond what you can keep up with. Make sure dh or someone realizes that and is prepared to step up or that you are prepared for a lot of quick easy meals and a not so presentable house.

• Like 1