Menu

American History for 6th grade

In case you didn't see my other thread, I'll clarify to start with that I'll be a first time homeschooler in the fall. Squirrelboy just turned 11 and will be in 6th grade. We plan to put him back in school for high school, so I want to try to keep up with the school's pace in the skill subjects, but it doesn't matter a lot what he covers in history and science during these years, so I want to follow his lead as much as I can. Walking to school today, I asked him what he'd be interested in studying in history. They're covering American History in Social Studies this year and he's loving it, but they'll only get up to the Civil War. He said he'd like to continue with American History, and actually even go back and learn some of the things they went through quickly more in depth.

So is there a good one year American History for 6th grade? I'd love literature based, but I could also probably start with a good spine and add in some books. I'm open to either Christian or secular materials, as long as the Christian materials aren't heavily providentialist.

I was also going to suggest Sonlight D+E - doing the American history cores right now with 3rd and 7th. :closedeyes:

Beautiful feet is much more providential.

Alternatively, pick any spine you like and add in literature. You can get great ideas for literature from Sonlight, My Father's World, Winter Prominse, etc.

• Like 1

Build Your Library grade 6 covers from Civil War to Modern Day. She uses last half of Hakim American books and lots of added literature! She also schedules in Science.....using Elemental Science: Logic Stage Earth &Space....

http://buildyourlibrary.com/purchase-grade-6-curriculum/

http://elementalscience.com

Edited by Murrayshire

I too was going to suggest continuing your son's American history studies with volumes of Joy Hakim's History of US.  Hewitt Homeschooling sells a junior high level syllabus that covers all ten volumes in one year.  You could just use the post Civil War books and add appealing works of fiction and non-fiction that pertain to the times.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1