Menu

Math People- what are your thoughts on these college courses?

We're not ready for these, but DC is doing well with old Dolciani, I thought something like these rather than going straight into Calc after PreCalc (or Modern Analysis) at home. She'll be on the young side. Anyhow, I've never noticed courses like these in a catalog, so I thought I see what you'll thought.

The school is a medium sized engineering school with a welcoming dual credit policy.

MA 153 FINITE MATHEMATICS

Topics include: set operations, introduction to logic, mathematics of finance, introduction to probability and statistics. Not open to engineering/science majors.

Prerequisite: Two years of high school mathematics

MA 173 APPLIED MATHEMATICS

Topics include: Mathematics of finance, graphical solution of linear programming problems, introduction to differential and integral calculus with applications.

Prerequisite: College Algebra

MA 203 DISCRETE MATHEMATICS FOR INFORMATION SCIENCES

An introduction to methods of analytical, abstract and critical thinking, deductive reasoning, and logical and mathematical tools used in information sciences. The topics include propositional and predicate logic, natural deduction proof system, sets, functions and relations, proof methods in mathematics, mathematical induction and finite state machines.

Prerequisites: College Algebra

Without knowing your goals, your student's interests, which Dolciani you've finished, etc., it's impossible to provide guidance.  I will note that the first one looks like high school math, the second looks like a general description of calculus for prospective finance students, and the third one a common topic for computer science students.  (FYI, the third course is mathematically similar to topics sometimes covered in a possibly simpler way less focused on computer science in some high school courses, such as AoPS Intro to Counting and Probablity, AoPS Intro to Number Theory, Richard Brown's Advanced Mathematics: Precalculus with Discrete Mathematics and Data Analysis.) 

• Like 1

She'd likely be done with Brown's Advanced and some other out of the box stuff like Gelfand's algebra. We've taken AoPS off the table for this kid, (mostly a time issue- she has lots of other interests) but I'm keeping my eye out for other interesting options. Doesn't sound like this is it.

Edited by elladarcy

Discrete Math is hard.  When I took it,I learned how to do proofs, in among learning all the logic tables and stuff.  You learn all the ways to prove stuff.  Familiarity with sequences and series was pretty important.  

I always thought Modern Algebra (Abstract Algebra) could be really fun for my high schooler.  It's always been my favorite math topic (although Analysis has its moments).  Sadly, my dd is not mathy.  Your dd might like it, if they offer it and she meets the prerequisites.  Oh, it requires proofs though, so Discrete Math might be a prerequisite.

Does she like matrices?  Maybe Linear Algebra might be interesting to her?  I don't recall having to use Calculus in that, although it's been a long time.

• Like 1

She'd likely be done with Brown's Advanced and some other out of the box stuff like Gelfand's algebra. We've taken AoPS off the table for this kid, (mostly a time issue- she has lots of other interests) but I'm keeping my eye out for other interesting options. Doesn't sound like this is it.

If she'd be done with Brown, the first course would seem redundant.  The second course might be a nice transition to see some uses of upcoming math and might help motivate those upcoming math classes.  The third one would seem to depend whether computer science is of interest.  Brown would fill the "college algebra" prerequisite and provide a start on the discrete math part; on paper, it looks like she'd be well prepared, but I would talk with the professor first to make sure nothing's missed -- like if all the students are mathematically mature, have had multiple calculus classes in practice, have already encountered some of the ideas in previous computer science classes, etc.

• Like 1

Discrete Math is hard.  When I took it,I learned how to do proofs, in among learning all the logic tables and stuff.  You learn all the ways to prove stuff.  Familiarity with sequences and series was pretty important.  

I always thought Modern Algebra (Abstract Algebra) could be really fun for my high schooler.  It's always been my favorite math topic (although Analysis has its moments).  Sadly, my dd is not mathy.  Your dd might like it, if they offer it and she meets the prerequisites.  Oh, it requires proofs though, so Discrete Math might be a prerequisite.

IMHO Discrete Math is easier than Abstract Algebra (I am an Engineer not a Mathematician). 

• Like 1

What do you think your DC will study in college?

If Economics or Finance then MA 173 if computer science or computer engineering then MA 203.

(MA 153 looks remedial - high school level).

Subject to change, she says she wants to be a actuary. He older brother and brother-in-law are both engineers/ engineering students, and her thinking is definitely more abstract than theirs.

She is very interested in physics (which is partially why she wants to move things along in math vs doing AoPS). She does a LEGO robotics huddle, is good with programming, but far from passionate, and is defiantly a tinker, but not like her brother was at the same age. Very into art, music and languages. So basically, I have no idea. :0)

Subject to change, she says she wants to be a actuary. He older brother and brother-in-law are both engineers/ engineering students, and her thinking is definitely more abstract than theirs.

She is very interested in physics (which is partially why she wants to move things along in math vs doing AoPS). She does a LEGO robotics huddle, is good with programming, but far from passionate, and is defiantly a tinker, but not like her brother was at the same age. Very into art, music and languages. So basically, I have no idea. :0)

go with the Discrete Math

• Like 1

I would be concerned about leaving too much space between Pre-Calc and Calculus.

Before signing up for the Discrete Math class, find out which majors it serves. Is it a requirement for math majors? Is it taken as an elective for engineering or physics students? Or is it a general education requirement for students outside the engineering/physics/math departments? IOW, find out if the class goes deep enough to benefit your daughter.

A solid Abstract Algebra class requires proofs and a certain amount of mathematical maturity. 

Students who pursue careers as actuaries usually graduate college with 1-2 exams under their belt. (The probability exam and the finance exam are common.)  Has your daughter explored this site?

Be an Actuary

http://www.beanactuary.org/

Peace,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

• Like 1

Skip the MA 173 altogether - it is for non-math / science students.

Finite math is actually a quite interesting course.  It has a lot of similarities with discrete math, but will focus more on economics.  It won't apply to science degrees, but will provide a strong bridge to discrete math. 

Discrete math is required of many math programs and all computer science programs.  Depending on your kiddo's background, it will either be tough, or the easiest college math class they will ever take.  Yes, reactions vary THAT much.  Personally, I thought it was a joke of a course when I took it, but my background was strong by that point.  I've taught many of the topics in the course, and the one that really defines it level of difficulty is probability.  Counting is actually a tricky thing to learn, but once you get it, the subject becomes very mechanical (at this level).

However, holding off on calculus by taking one of these three courses won't help in preparing for calculus (well, MA 173 could, but you may as well jump into calculus at that point).  If your concern is grasp of precalculus / readiness for calculus, then I would take a strong look at college algebra, or a deeper precalculus.  If your concern is just about maturity, then take a hard look at AoPS counting & probability series or precalc.

• Like 1

I think the goal is to possibly replace an AP Calc course with something more interesting for a year before beginning college calculus. AP exams are not really available to homeschoolers here, so doing a class focused on prepping for the test seems pointless (and maybe kind of boring). It seems like there should be something that would cover those skills in an interesting way. Maybe at that point working through the AoPS PreCalc and starting the Calc might make sense.

Right now, she doesn't want to slow down science with math, and the Dolciani books are a good fit- interesting (enough) with the proof-based stuff, and efficient for a kid who wants to get to physics sooner rather than later.

Right now, she doesn't want to slow down science with math, and the Dolciani books are a good fit- interesting (enough) with the proof-based stuff, and efficient for a kid who wants to get to physics sooner rather than later.

If she has done precalc, she's ready for physics now.  Our 13yo made it through fine with only an algebra background (ok, he HAD only an algebra background - by the time he got through, he was studying calculus).

By the way, actuaries need a lot of math - finite math may or may not apply to a degree, depending on the undergraduate program she chooses to attend. Business calculus is not usually sufficient - she'll need the real deal.

• Like 1