Menu

Book rec: Sailing

jaderbee

I'm looking for a sailing themed book for an 8 year old who reads Harry Potter (first book) slowly.

We're going to do a unit study on sailing- sort of. I came across Rhoda Blumberg's books and thought they'd be full of great adventure. Also they offer sailing lessons on base so I thought this could be a fun summer theme. And it sort of ballooned from there. [emoji15]DD8 does not need to read a sailing themed book BUT if there is a great one out there please let me know. I'd love to hear the Hive's recommendations. Thank you!

Liz

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

"All Sails Set" by Armstrong Sperry is about a kid who works with Donald McKay and then ships out a clipper to SF... Sperry also has a solid bio of John Paul Jones.

Arthur Ransome's "Swallows and Amazons" series is all about sailing and summer adventures... "We Didn't Mean to go to Sea" is my favorite pure sailing book of his but you should probably read the first couple before that. DS loves them though some folks find them unbearably slow. 

"Carry on Mr Bowditch" has a Newberry medal and is great but has less sailing detail despite being sailing themed.