Menu

Memory Sentence - Gravity

We practice memory work around here. I tend to offer memory work for whatever we are currently studying. My daughter was working in the the solar system and found herself intrigued by gravity. We have read some books on gravity & so forth.... but I have not been able to create actual "memory work" based on what we've seen.

Can you guide me on how to create memory work? I have a CC guide, but they have nothing on gravity specifically. How do y'all do this?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

When I was doing ESL training, one method we covered was picking 5-10 important sentences for a work or topic that, together, gave the framework of the passage, and then add gestures, etc. These would be memorized and practiced while reading the work. The idea in ESL is that this gives the scaffold to understand the whole text for a child learning to read English while simultaneously learning English.

Here's Don Potter's summary on the whole method.

http://www.donpotter.net/pdf/gonzalez_materials.pdf

So, the first one on a nonfiction passage on reptiles would be

"Alligators aren't crocodiles and crocodiles aren't alligators", moving arms like the animals' jaws and curving fingers out for Alligator and in for crocodile.

For "Curious George" the first one would be

"George was a good little Monkey, but he was always very curious", jumping like a monkey and then looking all around.

It says something that I did this 15 years ago-and can still recite sentences in order for pretty much every book we used that year, fiction and non-fiction.

I'd think the same thing would apply to choosing meaningful memory work-choose the most important points and topics from the text and then just repeat, illustrate, draw, act out, which then serves as a framework for understanding and remembering the whole thing. It doesn't have to be particularly catchy by itself.

We just pick a sentence that we think is important, then add a little rhythm to it.  Maybe even clap between phrases.  Sometimes it might fit with a familiar song tune.  If you are creating your own memory work, you'll just have to decide what facts you think are important.