Menu

What is a good(definition inside!) PSAT score for a sophomore

In your opinion, what is a good-don't need to worry about them score (rather than a good heading toward National Merit finalist score).  

This is for a sophomore.  

I guess the score report kind of shows that in he red/yellow/green coding, but I'm not sure how reliable that is considering the rumor that the percentages are based on kids that didn't even take it.

I mean the scores this year.  I'm quite familiar with the previous years' scores.

Thanks,

Kendall 

In your opinion, what is a good-don't need to worry about them score (rather than a good heading toward National Merit finalist score). 

I don't understand your definition.

If my kid was not close to being NM candidate, I would not worry about any score because the score is irrelevant. (In fact, I would not even have my student take the PSAT at all if there was no chance at making NM)

Maybe I misunderstand what it is you are asking.

Edited by regentrude

If I thought my child would reach the 80% I would have them take it because it is a cheap test(I think the cheapest!) and gets the good student discount for our car insurance.   We did not make that, so are going to have to take a different one.  Though I am going to campaign to the insurance company first that a score in the 70's% on the PSAT is higher than an 80% on a 10th grade Iowa basics standardized test!  I really wasn't expecting 80% for this child and only had her take it as a cheap first testing experience.  If a student is no where near NM status I probably would not have them take it again in 11th.

I have a friend who is wondering if her child's score is an indicator of how her child may do on the ACT.  The PSAT was so different this year that I don't know how to judge that.

There is a lot of confusion about what the new scores mean, just because they're new. There are also test prep websites that want you to feel insecure about your scores to sell their services.

The "don't need to worry about it score" is going to depend on your ambitions.

If the types of schools that you are looking at have typically accepted students with SAT scores in the Xth percentile, then you would be looking for something similar on the PSAT.