Menu

Anyone use Progressive Phonics?

PeachyDoodle

We use progressive phonics as a supplement. For our formal phonics we use Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading. We don't use Progressive Phonics handwriting either. We use the beginner books and my 4yo loves them. They're a little behind where she is in OPGTR, but they've been excellent for helping with fluency and review. My daughter loves them and begs to keep reading them. The shared reason also helps her not feel overwhelmed.

• Like 1

That's what we've been doing as well. I printed off a few of the worksheets and have let him do some of the games, but I haven't forced it. He enjoys the reading, so I was thinking of picking up the pace. But the lesson plans seem a bit intensive to me (some days call for four worksheets, plus two handwriting lessons). So I was just curious what others do.

We have OPGTR, which we tried awhile back, but he really wasn't ready so we dropped it. Now that he's reading a little, maybe we'll give it another try.

That's what we've been doing as well. I printed off a few of the worksheets and have let him do some of the games, but I haven't forced it. He enjoys the reading, so I was thinking of picking up the pace. But the lesson plans seem a bit intensive to me (some days call for four worksheets, plus two handwriting lessons). So I was just curious what others do.

We have OPGTR, which we tried awhile back, but he really wasn't ready so we dropped it. Now that he's reading a little, maybe we'll give it another try.

We have like OPGTR. I did wish we had more readers that lined up with the progression better. Even Progressive Phonics has a different progression. So we still primarily do the beginner books even though DD is now getting into digraphs in OPGTR. I will say that the Progressive Phonics books have been excellent for reinforcing concepts we have already covered. I think that helps DD too. She is much more fluent in CVC CVCC words than in blends and digraphs. So having most of her reading aloud material a level or so below where her lessons are has been good for us. 

We have used the Progressive Phonics books on their own for the past year. We have occasionally thrown in a word search or memory card game from the website. We're near the end of the intermediate books and have just added in RLTL to cement the phonograms and begin spelling.