Menu

Book list ideas for: philosophy, religion & government interests

We're just starting philosophy here. They've read The Story of Philosophy by Bryan Magee and Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder. 

After finishing Sophie's World both girls decided to take a break and go back to The Discovery of Deduction (logic)  :lol:  :lol:.

We have Great Courses Plus, so they plan on doing Big Questions of Philosophy and The Philosopher's Toolkit. Neither was prepared to do the workbook questions quite yet. :)

I have Will Durant's The Story of Philosophy here when they're ready. I tried the audio version last month and liked it. We might do that when I have some Audible points to spare.  We have lots of Camus, Sartre, Kafka, etc. I'm trying to herd all of the philosophy book into one area today. 

Looking forward to suggestions!  :lurk5:

Edited by helena

Bumping ;)

We have a set titled Philosophy in the Twentieth Century by William Barrett and Henry Aiken. 

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Riding

The Little Prince

The Art of War

Republic

Ooo! found a list Best Philosophy Introductions http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/23390.Best_Philosophy_Introductions

Best part is, we have a lot of these. I just have to find them. :)

:lurk5:

My DD did Philosophy Adventures last year and enjoyed it.  It compares/contrasts the pre-Socratic philosophers with Christian doctrine.  Right now, for Apologetics, we're reading Dr. Michael Heiser's book, The Unseen Realm.  It's fascinating and quite enlightening.  DH is even listening in while he is working. DD tells me this is her favorite book in school right now.  It's making the Bible and the understanding thereof much clearer for her.