Menu

Help me use random bits from our half pig!

Luckymama

Smoked hocks and greens.  :thumbup:

I just put a little oil in a dutch oven and soften an onion or two (depending on the size of the onions and the batch.)  When the onions are soft, I put in the hock and water to the level of the hock.  You can season the broth with salt/pepper/bay leaf, or to taste. Bring to a boil and then simmer for...a long time.  Once the broth is good and yummy, toss in about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar (or to taste) and a whole mess of greens.  Simmer for a long time.

Other options:  DD loves celery, so I include 4-6 chopped stalks with the onions.  You can also add cubed russet potatoes with the greens, if you want a heartier meal.  Pepper sauce should be on the table when you serve.  :001_smile:

• Like 4

Smoked hocks and greens. :thumbup:

I just put a little oil in a dutch oven and soften an onion or two (depending on the size of the onions and the batch.) When the onions are soft, I put in the hock and water to the level of the hock. You can season the broth with salt/pepper/bay leaf, or to taste. Bring to a boil and then simmer for...a long time. Once the broth is good and yummy, toss in about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar (or to taste) and a whole mess of greens. Simmer for a long time.

Other options: DD loves celery, so I include 4-6 chopped stalks with the onions. You can also add cubed russet potatoes with the greens, if you want a heartier meal. Pepper sauce should be on the table when you serve. :001_smile:

I live about half a mile north of a Mason-Dixon marker so you'll need to help me out :D How much is a "mess" of greens? A bundle like I see at the grocery store?

I live about half a mile north of a Mason-Dixon marker so you'll need to help me out :D How much is a "mess" of greens? A bundle like I see at the grocery store?

Sigh.  Darn Yankees.

Depending upon the size of your pot, likely AT LEAST one bundle, more likely two (possibly more).  If one happens to have been transported by life away from the Mason Dixon line-far, far away-one sometimes finds large bags of pre-chopped, pre-washed greens over by the cheater salads.  Two of them makes a fine mess of greens!

As close as you are to the marker, though, you really need to get to work on that vocabulary, missy! :toetap05:

(But you can get bonus points if you can find my sneaky, homesick lament.)

((I really shouldn't do this before my second cup of coffee.  I'm not able to maintain my Cloak of Normal without it.))

• Like 2