Menu

Which Phonics?

fork29

My son is 6 and is in Kindergarten.  He has taught himself to read pretty well and continually amazes me with the words he is able to read.  I want a phonics program that moves at a decent pace, and is just a get it done type of thing without a lot of extras. I don't want it to involve a lot of writing because he is just not ready for that.  I also need open and go for me.  I would like to have some kind of readers that specifically match the phonics he is learning for practice.  Clear as mud?  My head is spinning from looking at all kinds of phonics programs so I thought I would try throwing out what I'm looking for and see what everyone thinks.  Thanks in advance!

Edited by fork29

We've been using Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading. It's pretty open and go and straightforward. We skipped the first 26 lessons since it was the letter sounds and dd had those down pat. You could skip ahead to wherever your child needs work on. It goes from letter sounds to a 4th grade reading level of multisyllabic words. We take it at our own pace and slow down as needed for review.

We also use BOB books and Progressive Phonics readers and Nora Gaydos readers.

We also use OPGTR. I tried several other approaches with my 7 year old before this and that book was the first that stuck and that we've kept using. We're about a month from being done with it. It's organized by lessons, you just do one or two a day, and you're done. Takes us about 5 to 10 mins.

We also use OPGTR. I tried several other approaches with my 7 year old before this and that book was the first that stuck and that we've kept using. We're about a month from being done with it. It's organized by lessons, you just do one or two a day, and you're done. Takes us about 5 to 10 mins.

As someone who is at the beginning of OPGTR (just about so start section 5 on digraphs, lesson 54ish), I'm curious as to how others have used it. We do the lessons, but on a whiteboard or notebook and I alter the sentences to add DDs name. We are currently taking a week or longer break to review and build fluency. I won't do any formal lessons other than have DD read to me from Bob books or similar and maybe read some words off the whiteboard. Did you take breaks to build fluency? I'm not in a rush to finish it, but trying to gauge how others progressed through it. 

Look up the Ultimate Phonics words and sentence list. Its similar to OPGtTR in scope and style. Its free and easy to accelerate.

In the beginning you can just read the sentences until you notice that he's hitting a struggle spot, then back up maybe 3-5 lessons and begin covering those lessons.

Also, I See Sam is a great way to build fluency and they are arranged phonetically.