Menu

Physical Geography sort of course

We are taking a little detour in our literature next year, and I'm considering pausing our history studies and doing a physical geography course of sorts.

I want to have dd read Salt: a History and 1493 (young people version?) plus either Mapping the World with all the extras. We might read History of Western Science, too.

I want to use a spine to tie everything together. We're about 1/3 the way through the mapping portion of Mapping the World with Art, which is going well, but won't be finished this year. We could do the whole program and continue with the mapping portion.

We could do Memoria Press Geography 3 and continue Mapping the World when we pick up our sequential history.

Or we could use both, using Mapping the World for the "drawing part"- which I think MP 3 incorporates it's own drawing component.

I've never seen MP's Geography 3 IRL. Would using both be too much? Has anyone seen/ used both and can compare?

Thanks!

• Like 1

Would love to know more about this particular one as I looked at it with interest in their latest magalog. 

We have Mapping the World through Art, but also haven't finished it.

I've never seen MP's Geography 3 IRL. Would using both be too much? Has anyone seen/ used both and can compare?

Interesting. That one is completly new to me. Have you used it?

Not yet. I've flipped through it at curricula sales and it's a contender for my rising 6th grader. It was more popular in years past. Search for old threads here and you'll find gobs of references.

• Like 1

I'm wondering now if I really do need "physical geography". It seems to cover some of the same ground as Earth Science, which we did last year.

The MP Geography 3 reviews very well, but I haven't seen it in real life. I think my dd might balk at all of the workbook pages, but I think she'd like the way it weaves together geography and culture.

Maybe I need to let history roll for a while. She likes our materials, but the map drawing is our only written output. I am having her take notes for a mythology study.

I'm going to run out of history before I'm ready for her to start over with Ancients, but I guess that's okay. She's been taking the 3rd Human Odyssey book off the shelf because she just wants to read it.

Maybe I should have her do a notebook of countries where she could research the history, geography, flags, ect? Not sure what that looks like for logic stage.

• Like 1

I'm planning the same thing this next year for my 9th grader but I'm using the Mapping the World with Art and North Star Geography together for cultural geography. 

I'm not sure what grade your planning for, but I agree that the physical geography in some ways is similar to Earth Science.  I have balked at it as well.  What I've decided though is that the physical geography workbook I'm going to be using for my 6th grader (Basic Geography) covers more of landforms, ecosystems, talking more about location and how it is all laid out, why countries function the way they do, instead of earth science that talks more of the how it all happens and works together to make the beautiful world we live in.  So, he'll be doing that this year along with a history of science History/Science (including physics and chemistry and some other fun add-ons) and then next year (7th) Earth Science and 8th Life Science .  He took Earth science three years ago so he's really due. 

• Like 1