Menu

Wanted to mention a study book that really helped ds do well on PSAT

When my son took the PSAT as a sophomore, his reading score was at the 92nd percentile. I researched ways to help him improve and found this book on Amazon -

http://www.amazon.com/Critical-Reader-Erica-L-Meltzer/dp/1479224715/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1452353689&sr=8-1&keywords=Critical+reading

I could tell right away that it was helping him bc his scores on the practice tests were improving.

We just received his PSAT scores and he is in the 99th percentile for reading! He only missed 1 out of 47 questions! He gives ALL the credit to that book.

• Like 11

I could tell right away that it was helping him bc his scores on the practice tests were improving.

We just received his PSAT scores and he is in the 99th percentile for reading!  ... He gives ALL the credit to that book.

Congratulations to your son and thanks for sharing!  Did your son, or you, think that the book helped his reading comprehension, or was it mostly that it just helped with the test?  Thanks.

Congratulations to your son and thanks for sharing! Did your son, or you, think that the book helped his reading comprehension, or was it mostly that it just helped with the test? Thanks.

I just asked him, and he said it put him in the right "mindset". I think some of the most helpful sections were: "How to Work Through Critical Reading Questions", "Vocabulary Lists" which had pages that listed words that look negative but aren't, common second meanings of words, and top words by category, and lots of reading passages with questions/detailed answers. I noticed that she has a new edition for the new SAT, but he worked through the old edition. There are tips sprinkled throughout that help with test taking strategies, but if your child struggles with comprehension/ main idea for difficult texts, the book really focuses on helping those skills.

• Like 1