Menu

Mother of Divine Grace for elementary? Update Post 11

Anyone use their stuff for elementary? We'd use different math (love CLE) and reading (AAR) but I like their religion and their CM approach to things. A little concerned that all of elementary and most/all of middle seems to be American History based. But, I do want to start with american history. Maybe later I could add in some gentle world history via the audio for Story of the World?

We are Catholic, but Seton is way over the top for me. We like minimal school, with lots of time for play. Anyone use it?

Edited by ktgrok

I don't stick to prepared curriculum well, so I haven't bought anything from MODG, but I do refer to the book lists for ideas, especially for the Catholic stuff.

Another site I like a lot is Mater Amabilis. http://materamabilis.org/ma/

I have had IRL friends use the enrollment option with MODG and have really liked the counselors they've worked with.

Basically, I pick and choose. :) I do like Mater Amabilis better though.

I don't but I had a neighbor who was using them for her two elementary guys. She LOVED it! She told me it was scheduled well--no days were overwhelming even running two grades. TM was clear. Loved the materials, easy to use. She planned on using them all the way through.

I used MODG for elementary for all 8 of my kids (youngest are 8/10). Every once and a while I will veer off and do something else...but come back to this. Both boys and girls enjoyed it. I graduated two from their high school and they did well with college entrance exams and college studies. The others entered a Catholic private school and  the teachers always commented on how well prepared they were. I think the school does a nice job of melding CM with classical methodology. My boys school in the morning and play and create and read  in the afternoon. 

• Like 1

I love Laura Berquist!

We haven't enrolled in MODG, but have purchased syllabi . If you are thinking of a full enrollment , i would buy a sylabushttp://www.amazon.com/Mother-Divine-Grace-Fourth-Syllabus/dp/B000EGO2WW/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1451994249&sr=8-11&keywords=mother+of+divine+gracefor that grade and take a look at it(resale value is high , so you won't loose that much). It will spell out what the students do day by day.

Designing Your Own Classical Curriculm dihttp://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0898706602?keywords=design%20your%20own%20classical%20curriculum&qid=1451994121&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

didn't go into as much detail about how to daily implement as I wanted( though it is pretty easy to do). I like the book as a reference and have worn out a few copies.

My favorite thing was seeing how much could be accomplished in realistic doable weeks by the end if the year. I have some quirky learners, so elementary required too much tweaking for my family, but I think it would be an excellent program for more typical students.

I think grades 6-8 in MODG are world /ancient history. In the ealier years, perhaps Story of the World cds and WTM history audios/ read alouds ,could be incorporated into the day? My kids have always enjoyed those.

HTH

Edited by Silver Brook

Thanks! I think I do need to get a syllabus and look at it. I'm also looking at Angelicum Academy, which uses the Catholic Textbook Project books in the late elementary/middle school years. I really like those books as well, so that's tempting. I used some with my oldest but always wished I'd had a lesson plan to go with them. Of course, I could start MODG and always switch later. 

This is what I remember about MODG, having used bits. 

I think they do a lot of biography based American history through third grade. Then for fourth and fifth, they seem to start over with American history ramped up, using an older Catholic spine and historical fiction. Sixth grade is ancient Egypt, seventh is ancient Greece and Rome, and eighth is the MIddle Ages. Those three grades us Old World and America as a spine and mix it with other books and historical fiction.

There are two things I really appreciate about MODG, and which, in my opinion, may only be obvious after having used it for awhile. The first is that work is spread out really nicely so that each day isn't overwhelming. For example, your dc won't have to write in multiple subjects per day. And each year one subject might require more work and others less. In the early grades, writing is taught through religion. Then later on, more writing might be done in history, while science will done orally. Then in ninth grade, writing is emphasized is science.

The other thing is that I have learned to appreciate is that the books are chosen very carefully each year to improve reading levels. Not all books will be a challenge. Some will be easy, but there will definitely be something in there to challenge them and keep them moving forward in their skills. But even this will be in small bites so as not to overwhelm.

MODG is an accedited school so the syllabus and planners can make it look like a lot, so it's good to go back to Designing Your Own Classical Curriculum to get a better sense of how Mrs. Berquist really implemented it IRL. If you do everything in the syllabus and planner, you will get burned out. I know people who have left MODG for that reason, when they may have just adjusted it by looking at DYOCC and getting a good sense of what needs to be done and what can be cut out.

ETA: The thirty-two week syllabi are NICE.

Edited by Tiramisu

I noticed there is no history at all in 1st grade. That seems odd on the one hand, and yet maybe a relief on the other. Not really sure how I feel about that, lol. 

The history in Angelicum Academy looks more like what I would think I want, and yet, maybe not. Can't make up my mind. 

You know what, after seeing the word "demanding" over and over in regards to Angelicum I definitely think MODG is more what I want. I ordered the syllabus for kindy to get a feel for it before deciding for next year. I could use some hand holding for religion right now anyway...it tends to get pushed off :(

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 1

So, I got the syllabus in the mail the other day and I adore it. It really is gentle, but well laid out. It schedules the basics, and then has suggestions for the rest which is perfect. So instead of the Sonlight  approach of "read this many pages of this book" I just am told to "read good picture books" with a list of suggestions that I can take to the library. And hello....Harry the Dirty Dog and Katy No Pocket are on the list! Two of my favorites as a child! There are also more classic works of literature on there, but hey, I love Harry the Dirty Dog :) Then things like religion (the focus in K instead of history or science) is scheduled with more detail, as it art etc. 

Oh, and the art! Instead of complex projects it has you use art cards (they list a package but I can EASILY substitute the Memoria Press ones I already have) and do things like "spread them out on the table and describe one, and have the child figure out which one it is." Or the other way around. Taking turns really looking at them and talking about them. I can do that! I wouldn't, if it wasn't scheduled, but I can :)  And the art projects are actual things....we built a miniature grotto with real semi precious stones that stands up on it's own and can be displayed in her bedroom. Not some paper plate thing that I have to feel guilty about getting rid of. They also build a rosary, a rosary holder, etc in the K year. Real things. 

Oh, and lots of emphasis on narration, starting with simply having the student illustrate what you read about in a hardcover blank book. 

Now, I am substituting AAR for 100 Easy Lessons, because she LOVES AAR. And we are using a different math but may switch to their suggestion. You can switch out even if you enroll, as long as you don't use anything "anti-catholic". I don't plan on enrolling, but good to know we can if we need to. 

Anyway, thought I'd share. 

• Like 4