Menu

Human Osyssey 3 versus History Odyssey

Not what you asked, but volume 3 of the Human Odyssey is a high school level book.  However, we just used it for a high school course, and I'd say that it is really only worth a half credit on its own (this is including 1-2 hours of assigned writing and maybe an hour of additional reading/video watching each week).  You'd have to add in a lot of supplemental material to beef it up enough to be a full credit (which K12 must somehow do).  As far as I know there are no student/teacher books available for volume 3, so you either need to enroll in the K12 course or create your own assignments.

All that said, the entire Human Odyssey series is very well done and volume 3 is no exception.

In reviewing the History Odyssey materials, it seems to me that most of the books are generally found on middle school lists (and are books that I would generally consider to be middle school books), and added to that, the publisher markets level 2 for middle school students.  Because of this, I might use the materials as a supplement, but not as a primary resource for a high school student.  Hopefully someone with actual experience with this resource will chime in here.

DD is doing HO Modern 2 right now, 8th grade.

I have definitely scaled some things back for her (and took my 7th grader out of it all together.)  My feelings are that it would make an adequate credit course for a 9th grader, but I would probably add to it if I was making at credit course for a 12th grader.

The TM that goes with HO Modern 2 is INCREDIBLY valuable, imo.  I wouldn't attempt to teach it as Modern 3 without it.  I wish they had TMs this detailed for every level.  

• Like 1