Menu

WSJ article - College Applicants, Beware: Your Facebook Page Is Showing

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122170459104151023.html?mod=special_page_campaign2008_mostpop

"Students need to be accountable for their actions," says Scott Anderson, director of college guidance at St. George's Independent School, a private school near Memphis, Tenn. When writing on Facebook or MySpace, he says, they should be thinking, "Is this something you want your grandmother to see?"

I guess I see Facebook as a useful tool, I've heard of so many college freshmen finding roommates this way. Then again the web is a wide open world.

Facebook is a wonderful tool. I have enjoyed reconnecting with folks I haven't talked with since we moved from Massachusetts five years ago, and I love seeing pics of friends (and their kids) who live on the other side of the country.

But facebook is VERY open. And this article is a good reminder that nothing on the web is really truly "private."

I emailed the link to this article to my kids (who I am "facebook friends" with) as a reminder ......

This is exactly why you need to check your privacy settings. You can choose to have only your "Friends" see your notes and details or the whole world. I've made sure that my kids know to set their Facebook at maximum privacy, and I go in on occasion to make sure they've left them that way.