Menu

Is Raspberry Pi 2 too early for 7.5 years old?

Rush

We got one when my (very motivated and probably a future engineer) ds was 5. He needs help with the reading side of things, so it's usually a mama and kid project. Once we downloaded the Kano OS instead of Raspbian, it did become something he could delve into a bit more independently. I highly recommend the Kano experience, especially for younger kids. You can either buy their full Kano kit, or a regular Raspberry Pi and download their OS from their website. 

We haven't done much with the hardware abilities yet, but during winter break, I think we might work on making it into a Gameboy-type console. 

• Like 1

Thank you for your reply.

I have two kids, 7.5 and 5.5 years olds. And the youngest into engineering too, so then I guess they could start working together. Great!

Regarding the projects. I've read info about this course and I think we will follow it ourself:

Build your own computer with Raspberry Pi

Manage your computer with Linux

Learn basic programming with Scratch

Minecraft development on your new computer

Java programming for Minecraft

+ they have lots of cool stuff on the raspberry website, but I'll check the Kano out as well.

Thanks again.

It depends on the kid. However, for most kids, I would wait until they're old enough to read and do projects themselves (depends on the kid, but I think most 7 yos wouldn't be quite ready to do that). Otherwise, it's going to mostly be you directing and doing and while there's learning with that, it's not as much as when they can really pick up a book or find a tutorial and tinker and discover. On the other hand, there are other things that a 7 yo could tinker and discover with like Snap Circuits or Lego Wedo, so I, personally, would want to go with something more in that vein.

That's just my take. I do think younger kids could think it's cool and learn stuff - and some of the kits do bring it down to that level, so maybe you'll find something that helps it be more hands on for a younger kid.

• Like 3

Thank you for your reply.

I have two kids, 7.5 and 5.5 years olds. And the youngest into engineering too, so then I guess they could start working together. Great!

Regarding the projects. I've read info about this course and I think we will follow it ourself:

Build your own computer with Raspberry Pi

Manage your computer with Linux

Learn basic programming with Scratch

Minecraft development on your new computer

Java programming for Minecraft

+ they have lots of cool stuff on the raspberry website, but I'll check the Kano out as well.

Thanks again.

If the students want to learn Minecraft or Java or Scratch, it's just plain easier to do that on a regular computer.  

I wouldn't begin Raspberry Pi until they have some python programming under their belt.  The neat thing about RasPi is you can write python programs to control things in the "real world" like a lamp or coffee maker.  We created a website that you can access with your phone to turn on and off a lamp in the living room.  Completely useless for us, but still kind of cool.  

Check out my post on Arduino and Raspberry Pi and electronics in general for more info.

• Like 7

If the students want to learn Minecraft or Java or Scratch, it's just plain easier to do that on a regular computer.  

I wouldn't begin Raspberry Pi until they have some python programming under their belt.  The neat thing about RasPi is you can write python programs to control things in the "real world" like a lamp or coffee maker.  We created a website that you can access with your phone to turn on and off a lamp in the living room.  Completely useless for us, but still kind of cool.  

Check out my post on Arduino and Raspberry Pi and electronics in general for more info.

Thanks for yr reply, but i've already purchased the raspberry together with a whole lot of books like: pythons/java/scratch instructions guides for kids :)

Hopefully my son'll understand it. He's so excited about programming lately and asked us himself to enroll for this course or to start learning at home. 

• Like 1

Thanks for yr reply, but i've already purchased the raspberry together with a whole lot of books like: pythons/java/scratch instructions guides for kids :)

Hopefully my son'll understand it. He's so excited about programming lately and asked us himself to enroll for this course or to start learning at home.

What equipment, specifically, did you huy. Not the books but the pi, can you link it please? There is a complete-looking kit on amazon but honestly my kids know more aboit it than me amd I am in no position to make a choice. I know I don't want a jail, from the r. Pi forums...

What equipment, specifically, did you huy. Not the books but the pi, can you link it please? There is a complete-looking kit on amazon but honestly my kids know more aboit it than me amd I am in no position to make a choice. I know I don't want a jail, from the r. Pi forums...

My husband has chosen this set. He'll teach the kids and hopefully me too :) http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00T538MAS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A2J6G16ZXL53GM

Hope this helps.

Edited by rushhush08

The Canakit kits are pretty much the standard. Looks like the ones the OP linked above, but that one is a UK company, so I'm guessing you can't get it here. Same stuff though - breadboard, etc.

However, Rpi designed a great new case. We met one of the Rpi people at a meetup and he was showing it off. It's less than $10 so I'd definitely do that - it's massively better than the ones that come with the canakit stuff.

Edited by Farrar
  • Like 2

of course

we like RPI and anyway were going to get it + GoPiGo and Brick PI later on, but we could buy this set first. i think it is so cool and even my little one, who obsessed with lego, could use it and have tons of fun too.

In fact even littlebits we were planning to get for ds b'day and then mindstroms for next xmas, but now i have seen this set and i really fell in love with it. Oh, why we did not have it when we were young :)

Edited by rushhush08

The GoPiGo and Brick Pi are totally cool. Be aware that the Brick Pi was really hard for my 11 yo to build - the casing, that is. And there are definitely some bugs with it. If you don't already have an old Mindstorms set, it's not worth the money by any means, though if you do, it's a cool way to basically hack the Mindstorms pieces. My kids never liked the NXT interface or programming system much so using Scratch (and Python sometimes) with the sensors and motors was much to ds's liking.

• Like 1