Menu

Blowing Through MCT -- Where To Go Next?

SeaConquest

Sacha (almost 7, in 1st grade) started MCT Island this year, and we both love it. We school 4 days per week, and currently do 2 days per week of WWE2 (condensing 4 days of narration, copywork, and dictation into 2 days) and 2 days of MCT. We're midway through Building Language and Practice Island, having already completed Grammar and Sentence Island. With the rate that he is gobbling it up, I can see that the rest of the Island level isn't going to last us much longer.

We will continue doing WWE2 twice per week, which should finish up the level by the end of our school year in June. But, I am trying to figure out what to do with the two days a week that we will have open once we complete MCT Island.

My options are:

1) Start Treasured Conversations grammar section to solidify what he has learned in MCT. I like TC, but it is *very* incremental, and I am afraid that Sacha really doesn't need this much grammar repetition. He really intuitively gets it. The paragraph construction section of TC seems too advanced for him at present. It would be a stretch, and I would really prefer to save it for next year. Less frustration all around.

2) Killgallon. I have Story Grammar, Sentence Composing, and Paragraphs for Elementary. Starting with SG, this book seems like a really worthwhile exercise for him to do. Bonus points: it looks doable for him (read: not a lot of writing).

3) Move onto MCT Town level, which I had planned to do next year. I haven't yet looked at it, so I don't really have an idea as to its appropriateness/difficulty.

4) CAP Fable -- this too looks a bit challenging for him, requiring original writing. Similar to the latter sections of TC, I was thinking of doing some of it next year. 

Cost is not a factor, as our charter will order whatever. Which would you use with an accelerated 7 year old? I am also open to other suggestions that I haven't considered.

Thanks so much for your thoughts. 

• Like 2

Disclaimer:  I haven't used any of the other programs you listed, only MCT

This is just my personal opinion, but I would use that time 2 days a week for something else. Town builds upon Island, but it's repetitive.  I think if we would have done them both in the same year, DS would have been annoyed.  I would keep doing WWE, and maybe add in Daily paragraph editing or something similar.  I see he does Latin, so he will be getting grammar that way too. 

This is just what I would do, obviously I'm no expert. :)

ETA:  Actually I'd probably attempt to use CAP, but only because I'm curious about it. :lol:

Edited by Runningmom80
  • Like 3

Story Grammar.  I also used Killgallon alongside MCT.  It's nice because there's some reinforcement, but it's different enough that it's not just repeating.  Also, continue with Practice Island through the year.  2-4 sentences from the MCT Practice book a week keeps things fresh, but is also quick and painless - I might even say fun! ;) 

• Like 1